Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, 5 days after I install a new chaincase with all new internals, my sled has no spark. :mad: So, I haul it to the nearest dealer, and the tech tells me I have a bad stator and they have none in stock, so my weekend riding is shot to hell. :mad: again. The sled is in my garage awaiting my decision on whether to take it in and have a dealer do the work or if I want to tackle this job. I don't like anyone working on anything I own, and I did the chaincase by myself, but I don't know if I can handle this. The dealer said they'd only charge me $80-100 to change the part + the cost of a new stator, $290 :eek: ....damn, this thing is getting expensive and I've only ridden 29.6 miles since I bought it 3 weeks ago. How hard can it be if the dealer is only going to charge me $80-100 to do it??? Is this just a direct swap of parts or is there a timing issue that will need to be addressed once the new part is installed?

I have also found a used stator from a running machine, for a much lower price than new, but I don't know if I should buy a used electrical part for a sled. Any guidance will be much appreciated, thanks...

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
no spark 600 xcr

Its not that hard a job, but you will need a flywheel puller for sure, about 40.00 at kirk, (get the HD unit as it comes with grade 8 hardware),other wise just line up the timing mark at the top of the stator with the line on the block. If you do it yourself, it may be a good choice to double check the diagnosis just to be sure, the Clymer manual has the 600 monoblock engine and a good electrical section that tells how to ohm check a stator. In any event check the ground wire, and check the orange wire at the pto side coil, (the feed from the cdi) to be sure all are plugged in at the proper location, and there is a black ground wire from cdi box that is by itsself, be sure its plugged in also,usually right under the fuel shut off, any wire that is not connected could be terminal for the cdi box if you try to start it, including plug wires so be sure every thing is connected and use a spark tester to verify spark. Hope some of this helps .

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response....

Well, I dropped by the dealer today and chatted with the mechanic about my machine. He agreed to help me swap the stator on his own time for a case of beer and a pizza. At least I don't have to pay him $70/hr to do it and this way, I'll learn quite a bit about my sled. I felt a bit uneasy doing the timing, so he's going to show me that as well. I bought a new stator and it'll be here on Wednesday and we're starting on it immediately, so with any luck, I'll be riding this weekend.

I looked over the machine for over 2 hours on saturday morning loking for something unplugged, corroded, broken, gone, or loose, I found nothing out of the ordinary. My clymers manual will be here tomorrow and I'll get started checking resistance on anything I can.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got some good news today. Just for a good check on my motor, I did a compression test....I hit 150 on all three pistons, I was pretty happy about that. So, I take off for my night classes and my friend calls me and says that I have Wiseco pistons in my engine, he got some light down the plug hole and could see the markings for it. I thought that was pretty good news, I knew the PO had the engine rebuilt 800 miles ago, but he didn't say anything about using Wiseco pistons. Now, when my stator comes in tomorrow and I get my sled running, that'll be REALLY great news. :cool:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey big guy, hows that bumper, nose cone, and well the stator doin? I didn't say anything to anyone on here but I thought about having a little laugh about it...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Sweet man thats a good deal and like you say will get a bit of knowledge from it!

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I didn't like the front bumper anyway ;).

Jason and I were out trail hunting around White Lake. We had to go down the side of the road a bit to hit some snow in a few front yards. I went over a snow mound on edge of a driveway and when I came down on the other side, my bars moved down and the throttle hit my knee. I got on the binders as fast as I could, but there was a telephone pole about 6' in front of me. I straddled it with the skis and hit it dead center with the bumper. The bumper was shot and the nose cone has a 2" split in it, but it popped right back out with a little heat. Everything else was unscathed. It's pretty hard to notice unless you really look for it. I've already found a few nose cones on eBay for around $15, so that will be my summer project along with many other little things I want to do.

So now, everytime I get on my sled, I check the bars and make sure they're tight and don't move at all. I'm probably gonna go with a riser or possibly a pivot riser for next season. I've also gotta figure out how to make my sled faster, my father-in-law's V-Max 600 beat me by a few sled lengths on a lake this weekend and he's not letting me live it down. :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, i see your from white lake, i'm in howell, pretty close to you.

I also have a 1995 XCR 600. if you want some tips on making it wicked fast let me know.

~Joe

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joe,

Hell yeah, man, help me out....I need a faster sled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Jimmy, no more riden round' here. It kinda sucks cuz I went to gaylord that same week you were sapposed to go, I got quite a bit of riding in like 250 miles in two days, it was real nice. But anyways, Good luck with the sled, may it run good next year!

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are going to the UP this weekend, my g/f's father has a cabin on Drummond Island and they still have quite a bit of good snow left. I'm guessing there is still at least a couple weekends of riding up there, but what sucks is that it's about 6 hours away :( . Oh well, it's better than not riding at all, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts