Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78' El tigre 440 L/C. It died last season and i can't seem to get it running again....

there is no spark coming off the plugs.
I put a new magneto in and that fixed nothing.
Its not the kill switch or the ignition.
Could it be my CDI?? Or coil?? How would i test each of them??
How much would each cost to fix??
How much is this sled worth fixed?? Is it worth my money??
Is there something else i'm missing?? A common problem maybe??
Thanx in advance!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Have you bypassed all the switches to eliminate that as the problem?
You need to unplug the 4 wire connector from the main harness and jumper the brown to black wire. You should then have spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm working on a 1980 el Tigre.. was intermittent..now no spark. Trying to find the same info as you. I found the four wire connector, not sure how to jumper the wires..is it jumper the wires on the same side of the connector or go across from one connector to the other?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 79 6000 I had the key switch went then the kill switch. Like RJ said you can disconnect the all the switches and see if it has spark, then you know its not the coil, CDI or Stator. I love electirical problems, the off season gremlins like to destroy things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to unplug the 4 wire connector from the main harness and jumper the brown to black wire. You should then have spark.
Could you explain exactly what you mean by "jumper" I'm not used to working on electrical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K so i figured out what you meant by "jumper" and i did that.....
But still no spark....
I also realized that my light is coming on when i try to start it. I've read that this runs on a different system than the spark though. Does this mean anything??? I've already replaced the magneto. Am i looking at a new coil pack and CDI??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you have a digital meter? You need to check for resistance in the Coil. The primary part of the coil are the two wires that go to the CDI. You take the meter set it to OHMs and check for resistance in the two wires. Then you need to do the secondary coil wires that goes to the spark plug caps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have a digital meter? You need to check for resistance in the Coil. The primary part of the coil are the two wires that go to the CDI. You take the meter set it to OHMs and check for resistance in the two wires. Then you need to do the secondary coil wires that goes to the spark plug caps.
I have been trying to find specs. What are acceptable ranges for the stator, coil, and cdi. Thanks. elTigre 5000, 1980

1 - 10 of 10 Posts