Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aquired a 1995 ZR 580 carburated CAT. The engine was swapped with a newer EFI motor but all carb and electrical parts,including stator, were put back onto the newer engine.The guy I purchased it from said after reassembly it started and ran fine next day, no spark!?! He blamed the CDI so I purchased a newCDI from Dennis Kirk still nothing. Took stator assembly into dealer and had coils tested all checked good. Took coil pack off wifes 2001 370Z and installed still no spark. Tested ign. switch and kill button with volt meter, checked good. There is also what appears to be a factory tether but it is broken and wires not hooked to anything I cant even find where they used to go. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
if the tether wires are not hooked to anything, the need to be. arctic cats need a closed circuit to get spark. what you need to do is find the wires that used to be hooked to the tether and jump the two together to clese the circuit. if still no spark i would check all the connections on the wiring harness for corosion.

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
One thing to try is to depress the hand throttle half-way and see if you have spark at half way. If you do, you may have to adjust the throttle cables where they go into the top of the carbs. If they are too tight, the sled won't spark at idle.

You could also have a malfunctioning emergency stop switch, a bad ignition, or maybe bad high tension wires?

Just a few more things to check ;)

dan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies! I have checked the connections and all appear to be good but I intended to ohm check each wire just havent gotten to it yet. Now that you mentioned the throttle cable adjustment I recall seeing to much slack at thumb lever I just figured I would worry about that afterwards. I am curious what throttle position has to do with spark on a carburated sled? Although I will check this out, thanks! I am going to do everything you guys suggest because this has me baffled! Thanks again, keep em coming! Oh, one more thing, do you know where the tether harness would hook into the electrical harness? I still cant locate this connection.

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
The throttle position switches are safety switches, if the slides in the carbs get stuck in the wide open position and the throttle is at the "idle" position, that would be a bad thing... so the engine shuts down.

One wire from the igniton goes to the tether switch and then the wire goes back from the tether to the wiring harness near the ignition switch.

Hope that helps.

Dan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, you discovered my problem"BC_Dan" thanks alot!! I checked why my cable was loose and found cable on one carb unhooked and at the splitter it was cracked but to my luck I had a new cable,go figure, I did just as you said by holding throttle half way open! Now I have another question, can you tell me the proper adjustment procedure for the oil pump cable? My polaris has the two hash marks to line up is my cat the same? And what about the throttle cables? Thanks again I have renewed hope!!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,404 Posts
The A/C oil pump on my ZR 580 has two hash marks just like a Polaris does. The only difference is that on the A/C, there is a stop that will not let the adjustment go past the minimum, which is a good idea. So I would tighten the oil cable until the slack is gone, then it should be good to go. That's LOTS easier with the carbs off...

You should adjust the carb cables at the top of the carbs so they are equal and you have about .030" between the throttle switch body and the throttle lever. If you do not have free play there, the throttle safety switches will not work properly and the engine will cut out when it idles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts