Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put in an new piston and jug on 93 ext 580 and i have no spark? the sled has a new key switch a jumper for the kill switch a new coil and cdi now that i got the darn thing together it has no spark when i pull the thing over the lights come on so this tells me that the stator is producing juice correct me if i am wron does any one have ideas on this.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Unplug the key switch and kill switch, and then try it. Unplugging them bypasses them. If that's not it, check the coil. There's something that's not hooked up right or something.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with this cat you cant unplug the key switch besides it worked fine before i put the new piston and jug in any other ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i have power to the coil with the 2 little wire that go into the coil i used a little test lite when i pull it over the light lights up now how do i check with a tester the plug wire ends?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You'll need to ground the spark plug to the head somehow. Make it as dark as possible and pull it over with the plug out. The plug should have a bright BLUE spark, which you can actually hear. If you get nothing, change the plugs first, then the coil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
try unplugging 4 prong connector coming out of base, has 2 yellow, 1 black and 1 brown.

Jumper the black to brown, try and start or see if you have spark.

Note: This will completely bypass all electrical on sled, no key, kill switch, lights, etc....remove jumper to shut off if engine runs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not quite correct Michael.

If you get NO SPARK, it's either the stator, cdi or ignition coil. You could take engine out and put it on the floor and it would start with stator, cdi, coil and gas.

If you DO GET SPARK, then you know it is as Michael1968 said.

Sorry Michael, don't mean to step on anyone's toes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can a stator go bad just sitting in the shop for 2 weeks until i got all my parts to put the thing back together i wouldnt think so but you never know with the troubles ive had with this thing

·
Registered
54 Posts
My take on your situation is that you for some reason or another may have a connection problem. It's possible that when your tore the engine down you may have broken a wire at a connector from the cdi, stator, or coil. Check and double check these connections.
Pull each wire individually.
Did you get spark or not from jumpering the wires?

Is it possible that you forgot to tighten the stator screws to the block, would lose ground there.

Simply check the resistance from the brown wire on the 4 prong plug(engine side) to the engine block itself. Do this also for the Bl/Wht.

Check resistances on stator, you should have a 3 way triangle shaped connector. One wire is Bl/Wht (ground). Check the other 2 wires, should get some sort of resistance values. Not sure what though for that model.

Also check AC Voltages on the other 2 wires. Pull over engine hard 3-4 times while monitoring voltage on each of the other 2 wires, using Bl/Wht for ground. Remember, AC Voltage scale, not DC.

Dont touch any wiring with hands on last step, may get quite a zap. Don't ask how I know:)

Is it possible that the stator is not timed correctly, that I think should cause a starting problem more so than spark though.

Did you get the little single black wire out through the base to connect to the CDI. without this wire, will never start.

You gotta let me know if you have spark jumpered or not!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You got the ground wire from the muffler to the starter cup hooked up?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when i jump it still no spark . I am not sure what you mean about the wire on the muffler? I didnt have to take apart the stator on the sled just the clutch side jug that i replaced

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry, I had assumed you had this thing out on a bench and torn it down. If no spark with it jumped(not to insult you, but you did jump the engine side of the harness, not the sled side) then problem is from stator to spark plug. Something in that system is inop. You said the test light would light up when checking coil, chances are it is your coil. Just a thought.....don't have any "buddies" around that would play a prank on you, ie, stuffing tissue paper in plug caps???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the coil, cdi and key switch were all new a week befor i melted down a piston about 2 weeks went by before i got all parts needed for a rebuild. I wouldnt think that anything else would go bad just sitting there. What about the wires that run to the carbs with the magnets on them could this be the prob.? I did take the carbs out and dipped them to get them clean then also rebuilt them, when i check the wires i do have continuity but do those magnets have to be i a certain place?

·
Registered
54 Posts
that's most likely your problem. those 2 switches complete a path to ground through the little pin switch in kill switch to the black wire hooked up to your cdi. I bet if you unplug the single black wire at cdi, and ground cdi side of wire, she'll sparl up

you may have to set the sync on carbs. Are both magnet still in the slides, they are under the tin plate.

have read some treads in the past dealing with washers at the throttle lever?????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
both magnets are still under the slide plates . So how will i know when they are in the right place. Oh and by the way you are a wealth of info and i owe you a couple of beers thanks alot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you try grounding the black wire???

What I did was cut out those stupid switches all together. follow wiring back, cut and join black to black/white.

First ground that wire!!!!!!! If you don't get spark then, it has nothing to do with the carb switches.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts