Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok......well about 2000 miles ago I lost spark. I did some reading and came up with the stator to be the issue. Replaced stator and sled ran great for about 2000 more miles. ( not sure if my new problem is related just want to give all info)

I was riding last season and when we slowed down and stopped my sled died. It was like I hit the kill switch or pulled the teather off. Pretty much the same symptoms as the last time. No spark. The head light won't even light up when you pull it. Over the summer I changed the stator and boom it had great spark and started right up. Took for a little test ride in the grass and everything. Took it up north to do some riding the begining of this month and it started right up. I let it warm up in the drive as I got my stuff on, and about 10 min of idling it died. No spark! Went back out later that night to tow it in the garage and figured I would try to start it and sure enough it started and ran great. Turned it off started right up again. Decided to take it for a ride to see what would happen and in about 3 miles or so I stopped at a stop sign and it died! Wtf. Let it sit for an hour and started again. To make long story short when it gets warm I lose spark.

So I thought maybe I got a bad stator from rm stator and replaced it with the oem one. Same problem.. When it gets warm I lose spark. So I changed the two pickups thinking maybe that was it. Nope same problem. Out of ideas and a little flustered. What do you think. Mxz 800 zx chassis w/reverse Dpm 2002 roughly 3800 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coil pack. When it gets warm it loses connection somewhere.
Replaced coil today and same problem. Also replaced spark plug wires and boots just to elimate. Thinking about replacing Dpm module next. It's really the only thing left. Right? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like MPEM failure. I had the same issue this year. Took the sled out of storage and it seemed to run fine. One short ride down the back alley and it never had spark again. Changed my mpem and it was fine. Aside from the motor just recently going, just posted a thread with pics today. You can test your mpem to see if it is receiving/sending out power to identify if it is it or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like MPEM failure. I had the same issue this year. Took the sled out of storage and it seemed to run fine. One short ride down the back alley and it never had spark again. Changed my mpem and it was fine. Aside from the motor just recently going, just posted a thread with pics today. You can test your mpem to see if it is receiving/sending out power to identify if it is it or not.
I tried looking through the posts trying to figure out how to test the MPEM. I bought a sled with no spark and try to figure out what's going on with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts