Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sled sat for several years. I cleaned the entire fuel system and so-on. It runs and starts perfectly but nothing electrical works. No headlight, tail light, brake light, or heated handle grips. I started going through the electrical system, all bulbs are new.
I traced the wiring harnesses and found nothing unpluged. Ign switch is good. I also tried a different voltage regulator and cleaned 1 ground. Is the lighting coil bad or did I overlook something? I did not pull the 30 miles or so of electrical tape off the wiring harnesses. I do have a multimeter to test the lighting coil but not sure where to check the ground. At the black wire coming from the mag or chassis ground? There was a mouse nest in the airbox but I didn't see anything chewed up. I know the wiring for the handlegrips is tapped in 2 inches after it comes out of the motor and they didn't work so I think the CDI mag is bad. Is this common? Its all one unit. I did not check the harness where it goes under the motor but the handle grips are tapped in before that. Any ideas?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Great job troubleshooting, and I think you hit it on the head with the lighting coil. That's all that's left. If it was a ground they'd at least be dim. The grips would work if it was anything else. The lighting coil is a separate part of the stator and can be replaced by itself.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the praise!
I am a garbage truck mechanic so I get to troubleshoot all kinds of strange problems. I just never saw a lighting coil go out before. I do have a 78 exciter motor and they have the same part number for the coil but its under the flywheel. I bought a "deluxe master" puller set from Matco tools today and it had a few metric bolts in it. Do you know off hand what size puller bolts are needed? I think this set goes down to M8 but it looks too big. My sleds are not in my yard so I would have to bring all tools in my trunk to service them.
Also please check my post under Polaris with a secondary clutch question. Not against anyone else here but you seem more knowledgable then a lot here.
Thanks
Vic

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I don't know enough about clutching to be helpful to you. Small world, my cousin is also a garbage truck mechanic...What are the odds????? I think the puller needs M6 bolts, but that's on Ski Doo. Won't know until you take it apart....I'd buy the bolts anyway just to have them in the kit.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still no lights. I did not get the coil out of it. like I said, lack of tools.
I did however, get the replacement one out but destroyed the rest of the ign system. The puller bolts were M8. I did not know that they were through holes and I screwed the bolts right into the ign coil and the pulse coil. I didn't mess up the light coil though. I pulled the 80 enticer apart with no problem. I learned from the doner sled how to do this. I rounded the 2 coil screws due to inferior tools though. No vise-grips either.
I did check the resistance or both coils though. They both read the exact same .4 ohms. Spec is .2. Is it a bad coil? All I know is that both sleds had working lights at last run(5 years ago). I checked grounds on the one with no lights and all are good. I checked continuity through the harness and was good. dimmer switch is good. It doesn't go through the ing switch so thats good.
What the hell is going on here? 2 bad coils? What did I overlook?
I will put the other coil in just to see what happens but why the same ohm reading?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts