Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a '96 indyXLT600 trip. i can not get any fire what so ever. I can't imagine all 3 coils going bad at the same time. does any one have any ideas. thanks

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Unplug the key switch and kill switches first to make sure they are not it. If still no spark, probably the CDI box, which controls spark to the coils.

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more info

I forgot to mention that just 2 week before this problem arose, that the sled ran like a top. then I parked it. When I went to start it the next time, that's when the no fire problem started. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yeah chekc the key switch, same thing happened to my sled, bad key switch. Just unplug it and if it starts then you know what needs to be fixed.

·
I gotta have more Cowbell
328 Posts
One more spot to check....

There are also safety interlock switches in the throttle assembly. If your cable froze or there is slack in the throttle cable, it wont start. Or one of the safety switches may have gone bad. Check for spark while holding some pressure on the throttle lever. Works best if all 3 plugs are out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually yea when you parked it you the stator cools down adn my guess i possibly you were running it hard and it crack but untill it cooled down is when the problem arouse. Just my guess. So it could possibly be the stator but check everything else out first. Also did you do a spark test?

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think

I can't quite understand what you are trying to sayroughrider, but here it goes. Are you saying that I ran my sled hard then parked it. Then the stator cooled down and cracked possibly. If that is what you are sayin, then my answer is no i didn't run my sled hard then park it. I just pulled it out of my barn and let it warm up a bit then rode it around the yard once slowly and parked it. I appreciate your imput and suggestions. Thanks

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried it

ok, so I finally got a chance to go work on the sled ( single father).
I unplugged the key switch, nothin. I unplugged the kill switch, nothin. I triedholding pressure on the throttle lever, nothin. I tried unplugging the black wire w/white stripe(ignition to cdi box), nothin. tried unplugging black wire w/ orange stripe (cdi box to coil), nothin. tried unplugging the whole darn cdibox, nothin. I don't think it is the cdi box though because when i pull it over the headlight comes on. Or doesn't that matter. I'm about to take my gun to it.If this info helps narrow it down, I'm all ears. Thanks for the help so far.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Re: tried it

mouse72 said:
I tried unplugging the black wire w/white stripe(ignition to cdi box), nothin. tried unplugging black wire w/ orange stripe (cdi box to coil), nothin. tried unplugging the whole darn cdibox, nothin.
Unplugging those will definitely give you nothing. Those have to be hooked up. If the tether is still hooked up (checked that also?) then it's either the CDI or stator. The lights will still come on with a dead CDI.

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, is there a way to check if cdi box is bad. I don't really want to go out and spend a $100.00 and find out that the cdi box wasn't the problem, but I would rather have it be the cdi box than the stator...lol.thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
as SEG already said,.....I'd be double and triple checking all the wiring and switches. It seems odd that it ran fine, then just "quit" working the next time you tried to start it. Trace your steps back, did you do ANYTHING to it between the last time it ran and now? Did you shut it down with the key, or the bar switch? Try jumping the kill switch, ignition switch, and the throttle safety switch.( one at a time in that order.) A TINY bit of corrosion will cause alot of problems. If all else fails, CHECK all the switches with an OHM meter, and be sure they are closing and opening the circuit properly. BTW, If the headlamp is lighting while your pulling it over, the stator is producing power, so you could ax that off the list. ( Check the output voltage to be sure, but that's hard to do without the sled running ) :)
Good luck...I hope that helps.

·
I gotta have more Cowbell
328 Posts
It could be the CDI box... sorry to say. Anything electronic can burn out without warning, just like a light bulb. See if your dealer has a used CDI box laying around that you can try out (or buy). Or find a buddy with another polaris (XLT?) and put your box in his. See if it works or not. I don't think there is a way to bench test those things at home, and I don't know if your dealer will have the tester to do it either.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Had a Ski Doo Safari that ran like a champ. Parked it one night, went to start it the next day, nothing. Turned out to be the CDI.

·
F.K.A. MOUSE72
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pics

I opened up thekill switch to see if there was anything broke or fried. everyting seemed to be intact. I did however find a black switch inside with a button on the end of it. It was duct taped so the button was compressed(see kill1). I'm assuming that this button is either the trottle safety switch, or the tehter switch. I tried puling it over with both the button compressed, and decompressed.That didn't do any good either. I did find something under the ignition key switch(see202). I'm not exactly sure what this little deally is, but I'm sure that one of you all do. I was thinking it was for my accessories. Then what do I know. All I know is if this were an old vintage sled , the darn thing would be running...lol. thanks for your help so far.

Attachments

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Re: pics

mouse72 said:
I'm assuming that this button is either the trottle safety switch,
That is the throttle switch. Not sure on the other one though (little too blurry).

·
Registered
125 Posts
My idea is to check everything before buying parts. Jace and SEG are right also, yah never know when something will go bad. If you have another one available to hook up and try, by all means, save your self some time. The little blurry thing looks like a capacitor, or something like that. ( from the pic, It almost looks like the back of a sidemarker light, with a broken wire. :D) I wonder if the previous owner had a heated shield?
You could try to disconnect the throttle safety switch , the contacts inside could be messed up. Just cut 1 wire, and strip a little bit of the insulation from the other. Try it with no wires touching, then try it with the cut end of the wire going to the motor contacting the stripped portion of the other wire. ( It's a Stab in the dark, yah never know. ) I like the idea of hooking up a spare CDI before you waste to much time. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts