Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using NGK plugs in my older Polaris, and one of my buddies suggested I use Champions, since that's what the 600 Edge sleds were designed for. Something about dual heat range that NGK's don't do.
I looked at the build sheet for one of my sleds, and it did list the Champion spark plug.
Any thoughts? I have a bunch of 600 and 700 liberty motors here, ranging from 2003-2008.....
Getting them ready for the season,,,,,
Any advice is appreciated........

·
Super Moderator
17,548 Posts
I've used both in the 600, 700 and 800's. I currently use Champions. Initially in the Edge, Polaris specified Champions but later allowed the NGK plugs as an acceptable alternative. I've not really had a problem with either brand in any of the Edge or newer sleds I've had.

Some folks have definite opinions regarding one brand over the other, so the best advise is to try one brand, and then the other and see if there's a difference in your sleds.

Think snow!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I use nothing but NGK's. I've had nothing but issues with Champion plugs in Snowmobiles. Even if I owned a Edge or one with a Liberty motor I would run NGK's but I don't run base NGK. I run the Iridium's or I run the E3 model as I have gotten around 3-5 times the length of use out of those 2 kind of plugs vs the standard. Also I have use the NGK racing plugs as well with good luck those were the ones that replaced the EV model they used to have. Now the EV model is only sold overseas which I have gotten as well. Those are a decent plug as well. Polaris also changed what heat range to use on those older Polaris machines. Anything that called for a BR9ES they now say BR8ES and the equivalent is the BR8EIX yeah they cost 5-6 bucks a piece vs 3 but 3-5 time the use and even then I have cleaned them and still gotten even more use out of them. I had a set one time go close to 1500 miles in my 650...can't beat that for longevity!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I was going through NGK BR9ES like crazy and I decided to take one apart to figure out why. They have a narrowing of the anode inside the ceramic that acts like a fuse. when it burns out, it might still arc across the small gap, but it has to do this twice, so often it will misfire. Took apart Champion, Bosch and Autolite and they don't have the narrow. Took apart several NGK's that were bad and all but one of them were burned through at that narrowing.
I started running Champs in my Touring E and they worked good. I also run NGK BR9EYA's in those that call for the ES. They seem to last longer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I run NGK in everything. I mean EVERYTHING: Snowmobiles, dirtbikes, quads, the buell, the old envinrudd, yard power equipment, the hemi, the vortec, the generator, ... everything.

With spark plugs follow the rules:
1) know the CORRECT OEM spec plug. Not what so-n-so, buddy, dealer, or the equipment packager said. Go to the engine builder references. Know and follow Fuji or Rotax or Liberty spec’d, not Polaris or Skidoo etc.
2) know the exact cross reference. Not what is close and no substitutions. Some plugs do not actually have a crossover to other brands.
3) do not substitute metallurgy. Etc Replacing a copper spec’d plug with Iridium is a no-no. Hard on the ignition components, shortening component life and potentially causing some weird gremlins in electronics or performancd. Stick with the “type” the OEM spec’d.
4) do the maintenance (replace) on a timely schedule. Runtime hours, duty cycle, or/and seasonal.

Am not saying NGK nor any other is best. I like NGK because I can easily get the right ones where I am and reasonably priced. The correct Champions are harder to find.

Follow those rules and it really doesn’t matter which brand is selected.

Hope that helps!

PS: really interesting observation BearAK

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Facts are that base BR9ES are junk anything that is the standard plug like that are junk regardless of the brand. Also the engine builders are not going to give you what plug to run that all comes from the maker of the snowmobile.

And no it is not harder on the system to go to Iridium, idk where you come up with that but that isn't true one bit. I'm ASE certified in multiple areas including when I worked at a Polaris dealership. It will not cause gremlins or shortening components. Every single vehicle I have owned or snowmobile has always gotten the double platinum's or in the snowmobiles Iridium plugs.

Number 3 is actually making me laugh right now because not a damn thing you said there is true.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Coolhand is correct, type of material used in the anode makes zero difference. The coil and CDI can really care less.

One common big misconception is hot/cold plugs. Kind of like the old mind set thinking that higher octane fuel meant more performance. I know people that decided to run a hotter plug because they thought it would give them better performance.

There is a video that compares actually running different spark plugs and the claims they make about being more efficient. Just do a youtube search for "spark plug comparison". One video uses a 4 stroke generator and he ran the same amount of fuel, did the same warm up process each time, and did the test a total of 4 times, 2 with a heavy load, 2 with a light load, for each spark plug. His results were actually surprising to me. With the iridium plugs and the E3's running from 15 to 30 minutes longer.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yep those Iridium plugs and the E3's are a nice upgrade. I've run both with great results in the snowmobiles for years. The other stuff like lawn mowers and so on get the cheap stuff as eh who cares. But the vehicles and snowmobiles get the best I can get. The Explorer gets Autolite Double Platinums or w/e they sell for the higher end for that vehicle icr exactly which one it is along with Napa Lifetime Spark Plug Wires those Beldens really seem to hold up well in Cold and Warm weather situations and Lifetime Warranty yep that works for me!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, was changing out my Edge sleds spark plugs that have liberty motors, and they had the NGK BPR-9ES in them. When we started the later year sleds, like the 2008 600 RMK with the black top Liberty motor, it had the NGK BR-9ES is them? Should there be a different plug in the later year sled?

·
Super Moderator
17,548 Posts
My 2008 calls for the Champion RN57YCC but the NGK BPR9ES is an acceptable substitute in most cases. The electrode is a bit longer in these plugs than the BPR9ES plug, which puts the spark deeper into the combustion chamber on firing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts