Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just getting started in snowmobiling, I have ridden my friends Polaris two-seaters a couple of times before but I would like to get something for myself.

I really wanted an Indy but there is a '95 XCR 600 that just went up for sale in my town, with 4700miles.

Original owner worked for polaris in minnesota, took the engine apart at 2000miles to replace seals, bearings, etc. A guy at the college I go to bought it from him and has had it for 3 years, 2 of those up here in the UP of MI.

SLP Pipes
Fox Shocks
Xtra10 Suspension added before last season.

Checked compression last year and it was 120-150. What exactly does this mean?

Anyways, he is asking $1700 for it OBO. Is this a fair price? I am going to look at it today, what should I look for? Hopefully I can get a friend or two that own snowmobiles to go with me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
According to Kelley's Blue Book, this is the suggested Retail price:

1995 Polaris Indy 600 XCR
3-Cylinder
2-Stroke
597cc

Suggested Retail Value $1905

I have a 97' XC 600 for sale, asking $1,500. Why so low you may ask? Well the used market is so loaded right now, if you need to move something fast, like I do, ya gotta take a hit.
$1700 is a good price, & sounds like it was under good owner ship for a majority of its life.
Be sure to inspect the engine compartment, clean = good, dirty = bad, possible poor maintenance. Check the track/drive system, make sure the engine can freely move the track. Make sure the suspension is free moving, ask him to identify the greese zerks. (If he can't list 5, he hasn't lubed it very well, no lube equals possible bearing/bushing failure in the very near future.) Over all visually inspect it. You can identify a "beat" sled vs a well maintaned sled. Beat will have scratchs & dents everywhere, running boards will be badly warped, cooling fins under neather will be bent to hell. Maintained may have scratches from riding in deep powder, maybe running over a bush or 2 or your accidental tip over hear & there.

Compression is the 120 to 150 term. All cylindars should be with-in a resonable amount of each other, to keep the engine running smoothly. His quotes 120 -150 means each cyclindar is pumping 120 -150psi, (pounds per square inch.) The psi is needed to compress the air & fuel to combustable mixture so when the spark plug fires the ignition of the spark will force the piston back down for a complete revolution. 110psi & less and she'll start to miss fire, & run like ass. Zero equals damage to the cylindar wall, rings or cooling system which equals top end rebuild at the least.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, just letting you know that your pm box is full, tried to send you one. Anyways, I'll give you a call tonight Louis.

Steve

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
stay away from '94-96 600 triples from pol had weak crank bearings, VERY expensive to repair.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I do believe this was 93' - 95' as they changed a number of things with the 1996 tripples due to the 94 & 95's burning down due to a bad mag side crank bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts