Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a tach on my new 2004 AC Z440LX

I am new to snowmobiles and kinda new to small engines but the new tach reads that my machine is idling (warm) at around 750 rpm. The service manual that I have says to adjust the VM-32's carburetors idle screws so that the engine runs at 1500 rpm. My machine seems to run OK once warm but it's a little hard to keep it going when first starting it. I find it hard to believe that the carbs would be that far out of adjustment on a brand new machine.

So I'm not sure if the tach is out of calibration or the bone head at the dealer ordered the wrong tach or if my carbs are only idling at half of what they should.

Just trying to learn here. Any suggestions, questions or comments?

·
Registered
56 Posts
well I’m not familiar with your machine or how they tell you to hook up the tach but if you have 2 coils on your machine and only hooked it up to one of the coils it will just show half of what the rpm really is. This sounds like your problem to me, are you sure you have it hooked up correctly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's plugged into the accessory socket on the hood harness--just like it shows in the service manual and the instructions that came with the tach--so yeah I think I have it hooked up correctly. Thanks tho. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts