Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2014 Ski-doo Tundra, 2019 Ski-doo Tundra
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to snowmobiling. I’ve always done lots of trail riding with my family but now I’m doing a lot on my own for work. I knew I didn’t have much knowledge or skill but it’s become quite apparent to myself the last couple weeks. I’m having problems with trailering. Work supplied me with a good single axel trailer, fits two sleds and a sleigh with ease. The problem I am running into is that the deck of the trailer is just wood and ridiculously slippery. Unloading is an ordeal. I need a temporary quick fix. It’ll be a while before I can get in to a bigger centre to buy something like a traction grid and I need a solution to get me through the next couple of work weeks. I was thinking of screwing down an old snowmobile track to the deck, I’m sure I could find one easily. Has anyone tried this? I can’t see why it wouldn’t work? I feel silly asking but I’m a 20 year old woman who has never dealt with snowmobiles without my dads help.

· Administrator
19,576 Posts
Old tracks have worked for years. Another option is 2' sections of old snowmobile belt or hyfax material placed perpendicular to the track about a foot apart where the track will engage, that helps a bunch. There are manufactured products that do the same thing.

You should consider putting something for the skis to ride on. There are manufactured products that do that as well, but 10" or so slices of old pickup bedliner works. You can also get plastic garage door molding from Home Depot, turn it over and it has grooves for the carbides to ride on and will make the skis go on the trailer easier.

· Registered
27,494 Posts
Problem with old tracks are the lugs on both sides!
As a FIX ask a plaster or drywall guy for a piece of wire lath
Staple the 2' x 4' wire to the very rear and centered for each side.

· Registered
4,593 Posts
depends on how old the track is. Track I used on my trailer was from a 1980's Skandic. No lugs on the inside.

My only issue is remembering to take it off and letting the deck dry out under it every once in a while. Uhg, Reminds me that I need to do that again. lol

· Registered
3,706 Posts
I just used an old 121" track and cut it in half and then screwed it to the sled trailer. Been doing that for 40 years and works perfectly. Protects the trailer and the track had 0.5" lugs so it grabs nicely with the studs and hooks right up. I also got lucky I traded a case of beer 20+ years ago and got a trailer shield that some guy didn't want anymore. Protects the entire front of the snowmobiles and he gave me the plastic slides that bolt to the trailer as well to protect it from the carbides. Find a used track on craigslist or facebook marketplace for 50 bucks or something and cut it in half. I can get pictures this weekend of how our old 8x10 is setup like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts