Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys first post here... I just got into sledding this year and I was given a 91 Formula Mach 1 617. I got the beast running like a top, but I would like to upgrade the skis to some wider newer plastic skis. are there other years of Ski doos that have interchangable skis?? Do the newer Formula models skis bolt on? I like this old sled to ride the trails on so I would like to get something used to keep costs down. Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Here is a picture of the sled after I repaired the damaged hood and got it running last weekend...

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sharp lookin mach. welcome to the forum
thanks alot! I think it turned out real nice!

smallengineguy Where did you get the graphics for it?
I custom painted the hood myself, and the Motorfist sticker I got locally at a snowmobiling/motorcycle shop...For Free!!

Rotax6615 yes you can put new skis on it... i had flex and precision skis on my prs sleds.
Im NEW to sledding... Flex and Precision skis?? What models are those off of? There is a local junk yard for sleds/bikes close to me so I was hoping to go there this weekend and find something, I just need to know what years/models to look on.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
97 Posts
flex skis i guess would be off of zx chassis sleds 99-02 precision skis were on revs from 03 to 05 -06? for the precision skis you will need the spacers for the spindle im not sure about the flex i forget

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flex skis i guess would be off of zx chassis sleds 99-02 precision skis were on revs from 03 to 05 -06? for the precision skis you will need the spacers for the spindle im not sure about the flex i forget
right on, thank y ou for the information, I will try to find a set this weekend. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's a nice looking sled. You were given that for free?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just got into sledding this year and I was given a 91 Formula Mach 1 617.

Sorry this is what I read and it sounds as if he was given the sled for free.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a nice looking sled. You were given that for free?
Yes my grandpa gave it to me, said if you can get it running ride the hell out of it.
When I got it was a far cry from looking like anything you would want. So I took it to work and worked on it during my free time, tore apart the carbs, cleaned those, put in a new primer and fuel lines, removed the fuel tank flushed it 3 times, replaced the fuel lines inside the tank w/ new filters, fixed the fuel sending unit, cleaned the exhaust valves (they were caked with buildup) replaced the bulbs, repainted the body of the sled....

The hood when I got it had 19 major cracks or breaks, fiberglassed and smoothed it out and gave it a custom paint job..over all it took me about 25-30 hrs to get the sled where it sits now, but I did it all during my down time at work and a few hours on the week ends.... it just needed some TLC... it runs amazing, I just want to get some plastic skis for handling, stiffen the rear suspension a little bit and adjust the headlight and it should be a good sled if I maintain it properly.

Im pretty proud of the way it turned out, its my first sled! My uncle and cousins were amazed how it turned out from the last time the saw it when my grandpa totaled it!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any info on skis. That is one heck of a job you did on that though.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
both were free!! I have about $50-60 invested into this sled is all... either I had everything already or at work to use.... mostly I just have time invested into it! Most expensive thing I guess was the licensing/groomer fees.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do u have any before pics
only a few crappy cell phone pics.... the one of the hood does not even begin to show all the damage, the back side of the hood where the vents are were broke in 3 pcs on each side..bunch of rivets and metalstraps were holding it all together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice looking sled
:thumbsup:

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys!! I like riding this old sled, a little bit of a bumpy ride, the seat could use some more padding, but for 20yrs old I am amazed how well it still scoots!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
definately a rough ride but still tons of fun. just waitin for snow here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts