Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, good forum you have here. I ride a KTM in the summer time and I had to find something to keep me busy during the winter so I bought a 95 Polaris XLT 600. It seems to be in decent shape. Anyway, I look forward to getting some tech advice and meeting some of you on the trail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey,,,

Hey there, I'm in Farmington. Really close to the trail. I haven't heard of any trips yet. I had the sled out today for a bit just behind my house, I can't really hit the trail yet because I'm not legal yet and I don't know anyone else that has a sled. I pulled my son around on his sled today. then at one point I got brave enough to jump the asphalt path in the back yard and cleard it. About 6-7 ft. felt good. This XLT is sure hard to start though, not sure what the problem is but damn, they shouldn't be hard starting. Now the pull cord isn't catching. I have to pull and pull til it catches then try to start it. Any ideas of what the problem is, is it common? Is it an easy fix?

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
Take the recoil off and lube up the spring, etc. without removing it. You can spray WD40 in it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
pull off the starter housing. inside you will find a nut, I beleive a #10. take that off and remove the 3" diameter plate. under thatis your ratchet and spring. clean that up a little and make sure the spring isn't broke. put it back together and you can pull the rope briskly and the ratchet should pop out and then return as the rope rewinds. Usually this is the problem. If not you might have to go a little deeper and pull out the pulley to see if the rewind spring is broken or worn and noy catching

1 - 10 of 10 Posts