Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just got a 1999 Yamaha V max VX600C fo free for helping my neighbor move. It's been sitting for 3 or 4 years. It did run when he parked it originally. What does one have to do to get her moving again?

Mostly a outboard motor and small engine guy but i thought this would be a fun project.

Kenny

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your biggest concern will be the fuel system. Sitting that long, it's guaranteed that the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. I would also look at the fuel pump and all the fuel lines, including the pick-up line inside the tank, as well. I'd also toss in some new plugs, too.

After that, general maintenance should get it running. I'd clean the clutches, change the chaincase fluid, adjust the chain, and grease all the fittings. Check the bogey wheels for seized bearings, too. Check the skis/carbides and the track hyfax for excessive wear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum!

Your biggest concern will be the fuel system. Sitting that long, it's guaranteed that the carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. I would also look at the fuel pump and all the fuel lines, including the pick-up line inside the tank, as well. I'd also toss in some new plugs, too.

After that, general maintenance should get it running. I'd clean the clutches, change the chaincase fluid, adjust the chain, and grease all the fittings. Check the bogey wheels for seized bearings, too. Check the skis/carbides and the track hyfax for excessive wear.
Cool Stuff. Would you happen to know where I could get a service manual that's reasonably priced? I found a few youtube videos but I would like to have something on paper. I can find many variations of VX600 manuals, but not the VX600C service manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i worked hard on the sled this summer after finding the service manual. Got the carbs cleaned and changed out the gaskets to the bowls, gas tank cleaned and installed a new fuel filter, and filled with ethanol free gas, changed the coolant, added new spark plugs and air filter. Would like to change out the brake fluid still but the master cylinder veiwport is cracked. Not sure if I can just seal it or have to replace.

She now starts up on the first few pulls after years of slumber. I'll try to get some pics up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts