Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. My family is new to the snowmobiling hobby and I jumped right in by buying four used snowmobiles within a two week time span. My wife said I must be done for now. LOL I am going to ride a 2000 Polaris Triumph, wife and daughters share a 94 Ski Doo Formula STX 583, older son (adopted) 96 Polaris XCR SP 600 and youngest son (16 years old) a 94 Ski Doo Formula STX 583 (this thing is clutched and hauls btw). I have an old beater Kawasaki 340 Drifter that doesn't go over 40 mph. I just couldn't pass it up since I used to ride one just like it when I was a kid.

My son(s) and I can't hardly wait to ride since all our snow melted two weeks ago. We have spent hours in the garage together getting the sleds ready. I have a ton of rookie questions so I hope you are easy on me. ;-) I am here to learn as well as provide whatever help I can to aid anyone else. I am probably one of those guys who knows JUST enough to be very dangerous.

Where are some good places to ride close to us and is there any snow in Michigan? How do you get trail reports to find out?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the club

Just a little heads up make sure you respect the machine expecially as a new sledder because those are fast machines and can harm yourself real fast.

I'm talking from my own experience as a newbie and I got lucky.

·
Tip Of The Mitt/Ski Doo
283 Posts
Welcome, there is snow on the west side of lower peninsula, go to fishweb.com...get trail conditions for entire state.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody! I just found out that northern Indiana trails are covered and open as well. We may just do a real quick close trip since I have a super busy week this week. Hopefully Mich gets more snow and we will travel a little further north next week.

I'm shocked just how fast these sleds are...WOW. A little faster then that vintage Drifter the kids have been running around the yard on pulling sleds. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Canada EH!

I do the family sledding with four sleds as well, from '94 vintage Ski-Doo to '07 Phazer. Lots of fun when the whole goes out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A '94 Ski-Doo is considered vintage? WOW I have a garage full of vintage sleds then! ;-) Does that make them worth more money or just mean they break down more often? LOL

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
A '94 Ski-Doo is considered vintage? WOW I have a garage full of vintage sleds then! ;-) Does that make them worth more money or just mean they break down more often? LOL
:thumbsup:

Funny you say that, sometimes I feel the '94 is more reliable than the newer stuff. It has a type 582 engine which is similar to your bulletproof 583 but without the RAVE exhaust valves. I called it vintage because Ontario has a "Vintage" trail permit for anything older than 15 yrs. $125 instead of the $200 permit. Can't wait 'till next year because four out my five sleds will be vintage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy smokes!!! $200 for a permit? We pay $30 for a permit that is good for 3 years in the state of Indiana. I hear this permit is good in Wisconsin and Michigan too. WOW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Holy smokes!!! $200 for a permit? We pay $30 for a permit that is good for 3 years in the state of Indiana. I hear this permit is good in Wisconsin and Michigan too. WOW
He's referring to the trail permits. The trail system is maintained by local clubs that rely on this money for grooming equipment and such. The government registration is $15 a year, and is valid in any province.

Oh, and BTW, welcome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm glad my trail pass is vintage on my 90 Yamaha and 96 Formula 500.

Because we have to bend over and bring the vaseline every time we visit the gas station and we are taxed up the wazoo every time we take out our valet up in Ontario Thanks to our Liberal Premiere!

He is on the Al Gore bandwagon and he is investing in Green energy wait till all our power comes from solar panels and wind, I wonder what will happen on a cloudy snowy day when there is no wind. We are in the same boat as California.

Hehehe I hope I didn't offend anyone I'm just venting :(

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Trail permits in Michigan are $35 and last one year. I would still consider that it has to be >25 years to be vintage.

·
Registered
260 Posts
wow 94 vintage thats funny cuz mosta my friends are just startn to ride and own mostly phazers n exciters lol oh well even being vintage theyre still fun

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Not that it makes a huge difference but I had a look at the permit and it is actually called a "Classic" trail permit. We'll keep the vintage term for the older sleds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts