Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it state law in new York that u must have at least liability insurance to ride a sled .ive been stopped before just checking registration but they never asked for proof of insurance

·
Super Moderator
16,703 Posts
No idea, but State Farm insures my sleds. For my 600 it's less than $10 bucks a month ($108/year). And that's for full coverage. For that amount, it's silly not to have insurance in this day and age.

Call around, you may be surprised how inexpensive it can be, especially if you are only insuring for liability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Powersports insurance out of Gloversville, 3 sleds for 120 bucks ! Talk to Corbett

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ride NY | New York State Snowmobile Association

INSURANCE

All snowmobiles must be insured unless they are operated solely on property owned or leased by the owner of the snowmobile.

New York State Parks law requires snowmobilers to carry liability coverage in the minimum amount of $10,000 for an accident involving one person, $20,000 for an accident involving two or more persons, and $5,000 for property damage from one accident.

Proof of insurance must be carried by the snowmobiler and must be displayed on request of any magistrate, law enforcement officer, or anyone who has suffered personal injury or property damage as a result of the snowmobiler’s actions.

NYH1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second BC_Dan. I know a bunch of guys who don't get coverage, but if you check prices you can find a good deal on the state minimum. It's a lot cheaper then the fine would be anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts