Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Finally found a new 121 x 16 track for my 88 wildcat... I think. Was looking like I was gonna have to convert it to a 15" but I really didnt want to lose what made the '88's unique. Question I have for you is, are there any tweaks I can do to the skid in it? (AFS with the 2 rear shocks) Like I said, I dont want to install a 15" track and skid to update it, I just want to get the most out of what it has ;) Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My front end steering is very heavy, need to use some muscle to turn it. I have adjusted the adjuster bolt on the skid to 1/4" of threads left behind for preload, and the front arm mounts are in the hole closest to the rear. I have adjusted the rear shocks to the lightest position. It would be nice if i could get the steering a little lighter and really nice if I could get the back end to hook up more instead of spinning all the time :p

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
After looking at the parts fiche, I do not see a lot of adjustment on that suspension at all.
Can you move the front mount (slid) down any in the tunnel?
That would transfer some weight off the skis if you can.

Changing the angle of the rear shocks will also effect the ride along with the spring preload cams.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't believe i can bring the front down much without fabricating a bracket to bolt to. Good news is the track bolted in and fits great! Took it for a rip and the steering seems lighter. The back end feels a little lighter now as well, but maybe I'm just used to the old track that was bald and backwards.

·
Registered
26,123 Posts
First the 88 was heavy, and the bars are about 24" wide! I put a set of bars off a 91 and they are about 5 -6" wider and made a HUGE difference in steering effort! Next they made 2 stage springs for the rear, real soft on top and real stiff under them! And upgrade the carbs from 38 to atleast 40's (if it hasn't already been done)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't aware of the 2 stage springs, I will have to see if I can find some. As for the 40 mm carbs, I have read that alot of ppl have switched out the 38's. Will 40's make a huge difference? I do have a set off a '90 Wildcat Mountain Cat I got as a parts machine. If so, I would presume that I would set them to the specs from 1990 as far as jetting and such?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts