Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the old track on my 87 Polaris Indy Trail with a new Camoplast 1" Energy type. All went well except that the track tensioning push bolts were siezed solid and could not be moved. I soaked them with penitrating oil overnight twice, heated up the aluminum brackets with a propane torch and used my air impact on them, no go. I know I would twist the heads off them if I kept it up. I installed the track with the bolts as is and the track is a little tight.I think it will be OK however is there a danger to the track or roller wheels. I would appreciate any comment. Thanks :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
overall, the track will stretch in. a tight track just gets poor gas milage but it wont really cause a problem. It will affect power but i dont think it will be that noticable.

overall, get those bolts to work or replace them because you will need to tighten and lossen that track and it is good to have them working.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd just cut the bolts and drill them outa there and replace them.
Do you know Morgan Swant or Andrew Nafziger from T.Bay? I used to live there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The main problem when you overtighten the track is that you add to much side load to the drive axle bearings and rear idlers.
Also it's hard to believe that the track is aligned properly if you can't move them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts