Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm newbie who just got into the sport.

I'm from Ontario actually Ottawa valley area and I picked up two snowmobiles that I spent most of the Summer getting ready by rebuilding them.

I have a 1990 Yamaha Bravo 250 LT that I got for my wife for just $100 with only 420Km on the odometers spent all of it's life buried in a barn. just to find out she is not interested in riding.

I also picked up a Ski-Doo Formula SL 503 Air cooled for $500 in very good shape with 3000Km the previous owner said the engine was blown and he could not get it started, turned out that both of the spark plug wires were open. :D

Anyways after all this time waiting for some snow I got out yesterday in the farmers field behind my house just to suffer a setback.

I was cruising about 60Km/h coming up to a corner when a fox jumped out of the bush and startled me. :eek:

I'm not by any means experienced as I was still getting used to the machine I made the foolish decision of trying to avoid it and I wiped out and the snowmobile ended up halfway up in a tree.:mad:

Spent a good 5 min trying to get it off the tree branches started her up and went home with the tail between my legs.

Luckily it only broke the front bumper bent some of the metal support brackets and cracked the bottom pan in the front were the bumper is attached.

I hope the next outing will be a lot more enjoyable than my first experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the Ski-Doo Formula before and after pics and also my almost restored Bravo (Needs Windshield) and have to hook up the heated grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an Update!

This Afternoon I managed to straighten all of the metal brackets to almost perfect condition.

I also cut out a few pieces of aluminum sheet metal pieces to reinforce the plastic tub where it cracked and it will also fix the area where the bolts ripped out of the plastic.

So it looks like all I need now is a bumper.

Sweet!

I hope we get snow this weekend instead of rain :mad:

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I was sledding last year, heading up a logging skid trail in really deep, nasty snow and a squirrel jumped out of a tree in front of me. It startled me and caused me to get big time stuck! Dang animals anyway!! Glad you got your sled fixed! About the wife... find a really cute girl that likes to snowmobile and go with her, your wife will find a sudden interest in snowmobiling :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice about the wife but it will probably end up costing me half.

Next time the fox decides to jump in front of me I will be wearing a new fox hat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well lesson learned but the hardway!

Next time all small animals are fair game that if we ever get any snow as it all melted away this weekend with warm temperatures and rain :(.

What I learned from this experience:

hitting the ground at 60Km/h makes you slide for a bit, and leaves you with some bruises, not attaching the kill switch tether makes your snowmobile cruise a bit longer than you would have wanted it. Snowmobile vs tree, tree wins.

Inspect your machine before you ride as I also found out that my limiter strap was busted.

So yes it could have been worse I could have slid into a tree myself and cause who knows what kind of injury to myself, but I got lucky and all I have to buy is a new bumper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well lesson learned but the hardway!

Next time all small animals are fair game that if we ever get any snow as it all melted away this weekend with warm temperatures and rain :(.

What I learned from this experience:

hitting the ground at 60Km/h makes you slide for a bit, and leaves you with some bruises, not attaching the kill switch tether makes your snowmobile cruise a bit longer than you would have wanted it. Snowmobile vs tree, tree wins.

Inspect your machine before you ride as I also found out that my limiter strap was busted.

So yes it could have been worse I could have slid into a tree myself and cause who knows what kind of injury to myself, but I got lucky and all I have to buy is a new bumper.
And fix/ buy a limiter strap!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Limiter strap ordered and it should be here by Tuesday but no rush as we no longer have any snow!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update!

Got my sled all fixed up :)
During the last two days in between my busy schedule with wifey and the kids I managed to fix my broken limiter strap.

I tired to open up my gearbox and managed to snap the head of of one of the bolts spent a good 20 minutes removing the broken bolt :mad: tensioned my chain looks like it was never opened before.

Reinstalled it filled it up with gear lube ajusted my loose choke on one of my carbs replaced the NGK BR8ES plugs with the BR9ES plugs lubed up all of the steering linkages.

I just got back from a good hour and a half of riding and man that was a blast :cool:.

She runs good an no more bogging after 20 min.

Can't wait for more snow so the trails open up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found that Yamaha in a half collapsed barn. Bought it for $100 with 420Km. it needed a new windshield new seat cover.

I had the ski's spirngs the rear rack and front bumber powder coated. Cleaned the carb changed the plug and she starts after one or two pulls.

she looks almost new.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum from up north a ways.

I've got family in Ottawa and Gatineau and do a little skiing at Edelweiss when I visit.

That Bravo LT is much sought after up here with all the ice fishermen and trappers. If you decide to sell it, post it on Myzer.com and see what you can get for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Ultrafrozen

Are you a mind reader? because I was just thinking of selling the Yamaha pretty soon.
I know about the demmand up north as my brother in law is OPP up in LongLac and you see a lot of the bravo long tracks up there, I even asked him if he knows someone who is interested.

I saw one in the summer in the back of a truck near Timmins, it looked like somebody just bought it, it was pretty beaten up though.

BTW do you know what is the going price up north for a restored unit?

But thanks for the website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.