Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just purchased my first sled, 2014 SR Viper RTX-SE. Some questions? My track has no studs in it currently! I wanted to wait until December in UP to test it out! Any pros/cons with track studs that may help me?
Is ok to just let sled sit on garage floor.
I was thinking of starting sled every couple weeks! Is this a good or bad thing?
Lastly! I am a tall person but the factory windshield is low! Can anyone advise a good heigth windshield and where to buy?
Thanks everyone for any and all help for a first time sledder!

·
Super Moderator
17,191 Posts
I'm not much for studs, so I can't weigh in on that. But I would at least put something under the track to get the track off the ground. A better method would be to prop the back up so the suspension is not under compression all summer.

Starting the sled once in a while in the summer to keep things operating is how I do it. Some folks use fogging oil, and that works fine too.

Take a look at some of the online places such as Dennis Kirk or MFG Supply for replacement windshields that are taller than yours.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
If you ride the UP you will want studs! ALOT
They will help you stop ALOT faster
Dan is out west in Powder not down an Icey trail or across a lake

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Not too mention carbides. 6" of carbides for 96 studs anything above I run 8" carbides, idk what sled that engine has but I know when I run a sled with a 600 I go either 120 or 144 and 8" of carbide, more carbide the better it turns. Anything to do with Wisconsin trails or the UP you have to have studs there is no getting around it. IDK what size track that thing has either but I sent a link to someone else here who needed studs and he bought 96 1" studs with backers and nuts 1.05 a piece with free shipping off of eBay and I know that guy has many other sizes in stock and seems to be the cheapest with backers & nuts included, backers being the big thing as normally you have to buy those separately.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Oh yeah I would be running at least 144 studs in that thing maybe more with that much power behind it. And definitely run the 8" of carbide on it as well. That will help with steering all around. I've seen sleds with 800cc engines with 200+ studs in them.

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
I have dual 6" carbides and double tap stubs(192) and I have an 11/4 Ripsaw and it's almost enough!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts