Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a cheap snowmobile but something that is reliable. i found a guy selling 2 early 80's Yamaha 440SS snowmobiles. He said he'd take $200 for both. More information below:

1 Red 440SS:
- Needs steering stem fixed near handlebars (or swapped from other sled)
- Owner said it runs and is reliable but has it drained completely so it doesn't get gummed up inside. He said if i got it home and it didn't run he'd take them back.

1 Blue 440SS:
- Needs new top end to run

My question is, would this be a good deal. I figured i could get the red one going just from swapping the steering stem (not sure if that's hard or not) and then the other one once i get a few extra $$$$ get that fixed (not sure how much that would cost).

just want to know if this would be a good buy for a beginner snowmobiler looking for something cheap and pretty reliable.

·
Super Moderator
17,843 Posts
To get one running cheaply, that would be a deal! If you want two, the second one may be costly, sometimes upper end problems become bottom end problems and can end up costing more to repair than the sled is worth. You could fix one sled and part out the rest to recover almost all your initial cost. Plus, you will learn how to tinker on your new toy! Win/Win!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts