Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall I'm currently a junior in a technical learning school while learning to be a automotive technician but I found a snow mobile on our property that I had moved into, I'm pretty sure it a 1978 arctic cat jag 3000. It doesn't start but one thing I've found is that both cylinders have a psi of a low 75, if any of you can help me out to restore it to its former glory.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
75 psi is very low, you may not get the engine to start at all with that low of compression. So your goal should be to find and correct the reason for low compression. It could be stuck rings, but is probably because of worn rings/cylinders. You could try putting some cleaner in the cylinder to free up a potential stuck ring (I would use Marvel Mystery Oil) but other products may work as well. Let it soak a while, then re-test the compression. More than likely, you need to replace the rings and probably the pistons as well.

Good luck, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
75 psi is very low, you may not get the engine to start at all with that low of compression. So your goal should be to find and correct the reason for low compression. It could be stuck rings, but is probably because of worn rings/cylinders. You could try putting some cleaner in the cylinder to free up a potential stuck ring (I would use Marvel Mystery Oil) but other products may work as well. Let it soak a while, then re-test the compression. More than likely, you need to replace the rings and probably the pistons as well.

Good luck, welcome to the forum!
Thank you! I will be sure to try that and let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts