Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering which years/models had any major problems, etc. Im shopping for my first sled and would love to know what I should be looking at. Thanks all!

Kevin

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pick out 5 or 6 different sleds that are available. It will be easier to give you the good and the bad about a smaller selection and not every sled ever built.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
YamahaVector said:
Pick out 5 or 6 different sleds that are available. It will be easier to give you the good and the bad about a smaller selection and not every sled ever built.
yes do what he said. What type of riding will you be doing, need a 2up sled, how big do you want, touring trail or sport? there are a bunch of different things that you need to decide what you need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Im looking for info on 95 or newer Polaris sleds. I don't think i need anything bigger than 500-600cc or so, 1 up trail riding will be the main type of riding ill do.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Sleds

From what I know most polaris sleds 1995 and up are decent sleds. Make sure that when you are looking for a sled that it has at least the updated Xtra-10 suspension package. The Xtra-10 has all gas shocks instead of oil shocks which can be found on most older XLT sleds. The newer polaris suspension is the edge, and the M-10 suspension. I am not 100% sure when they started using these suspension packages on their sleds. The engines I would look for are the mon-block 600. What I mean by mono-block is the three cylinders are actually one piece. On the 96 xcr 600sp each cylinder is its own piece. The mono-block engines don't deliver as much power as the others but its not a huge loss. From what I have heard from riders I know is the mono-block engines are long lasting and very durable. I have a friend who has a 1994 XLT for a backup sled. It has the 600 mono-block style engine and he has over 7000 miles on the sled. He has replaced nothing on it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
228 Posts
find yourself a nice 2001-02 xc 500-600 edge you wont be disapointed, youll have a nice ride and if you want to get aggressive with her she can take it. you can get them pretty cheap also $3500-$4000 +/-.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Polaris Sleds

I've had wonderful luck with my Polaris'. I ride with a group typically of up to 6 riders. Most of us are mounted on Polairs sleds and those who have been on the Arctics, the past few winters have had nothing but problems. We've had two burndowns, one busted bulkhead, and other various issues. It seems that there have been alot of Actic durability issues. Just for an example, my trusty Indy Trail is still runnin even after 8,000 miles. I bought a 2002 XC 700 and put just over 800 miles on it last winter and love it. My only gripe is the Position Sensitive rear track shock. I want to replace this with a Fox clicker shock to give a full range of adjustments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts