Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey group, this will be my first post on this forum. Used to ride a lot back in the day, but haven't really ridden since '98. Used to own 80s Arctic cat's, never owned a Yamaha. Last winter I picked up a mid-80s Enticer Excel 340 to tool around the yard and for the kids to ride. I'll probably be picking up another one this weekend so my boys don't fight over the one, and they will have identical sleds.

Today I just picked up a 93 Exciter locally off Facebook. Starts quick on a pull, runs strong, only drove it around on the grass but she lifted the front easily, seems to have lots of power. Price was right and she came with an extra seat, extra front fairing with windshield, extra belts, and a cover.

Being that I don't know much about Yamaha's, could you folks take a look at these pictures and tell me what you know about the sled. I'm not sure if it is a 93, it came only with a bill of sale. I'm not sure if it's an Exciter or Exciter 2, how can you tell? Also, I don't know if it is an SX model or not.

I have read people seem to call the front shock towers pogos, and I can understand the name. It looks like there is a little bit of rust through the outer shock carriers... Can I just put a thick wrap (vinyl) over the little holes or do I need new carriers? I see that the spring rate is adjustable, does anyone have an explanation on how I go about adjusting them and to what end?

I took a quick look around the machine, most of the grease zerks appear to have grease around them, so at least it looks like it has been kept up. Anything to watch out for?

I noticed there is no air box inside the engine compartment, just filters over the intakes. Is this supposed to come with an air box, and do I need to have it in place or is it fine as is?

It looks like there is wiring to the grips for hand warmers, but I don't see a switch anywhere on the dash area. Do these have factory hand warmers and is there a secret hidden location switch somewhere?

The odometer says 2900 miles. The machine overall looks to be in pretty good shape so I don't necessarily doubt the miles. The engine seems to have very good compression and the pull-start is pretty strong. Taking a look in the cylinder through the spark plug holes the top of the Pistons look clean and the milling grooves look fairly fresh with practically no carbon. It may have been rebuilt at some point. Also the head gasket seems to be fairly new from the tabs poking out the sides... Anything I should pay attention to in the engine compartment that you can see?

Thanks in advance, I know that's a lot of questions for a first post but I appreciate any insight you folks can give me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry was having issues posting pictures in the initial post. Here are some pictures...

Also, I found an older thread that suggests that the VIN of my sled, beginning 8AY corresponds to a 93 Exciter 2 SX... Is that a good thing over the regular Exciter and does it give me anyting else to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Welcome
Had a 91 just like it.
The only real differences are the graphics
I would wire brush and prime that Pogo

·
Registered
481 Posts
After doing a light wire brushing I would use something called Rust-Oleum Rust Converter Spray as it kills rust that allows you to then prime it and paint it knowing the rusting has been killed. I have used that stuff on multiple projects with great success. Many places sell it, last can I got at walmart was 6 bucks. Kinda looks like primer but works better imho.

But we all know that KC's way has been done for decades with great success as well. Just wanted to give another option that has worked for me in the past!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the comments... I don't know much about the construction of these shocks. Is that outer carrier just for protection of the inner shock assembly, or is it structural? Meaning, is it a safety issue that the outer carrier has those holes?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It came from the factory with an air box. I would just keep the foam filters on there. They will work fine. If you do get an air box for it, make sure the jetting is back to factory specs.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I dont like the Uni fillers at all

On mine I did a little rework of the cowl

If you look across the top of the cowl it goes across to the opening for the steering post
If you cut from the center to the outer edge that piece that dont move will come right off
What I did was take a pair of like 2" 'L' bracket and bolt it to where the side panels bolt on and them large headed pop rivet the 'L' to the cowl.

Remove the Star bolts for the side panel and the cowl will come right off

·
Registered
153 Posts
Many more differences besides graphics on the SX. More compression, flatslide carbs, different clutching, different riding position, wider ski stance. Not that the SX graphics were great or anything but too bad your sled has lost them along the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many more differences besides graphics on the SX. More compression, flatslide carbs, different clutching, different riding position, wider ski stance. Not that the SX graphics were great or anything but too bad your sled has lost them along the way.
Thank you for the Post. Is this a keeper of a sled? Can it hold up decently well over time and stay relevant as a trail sled? Are there any things in particular I should pay special attention to? Any obvious upgrades that are worth doing to make it a better all-around sled?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I liked it. But I'm into older Yamaha's.

I think it can still be a nice trail sled. It should be a bit more reliable than other sleds of the day. I had friends with EXT's, XLT's, and RXL's back in the day, none of them had good reliability.

The front scissors on the suspension have a lot of bushings that can wear and give you steering play and I had a bad coil too. Also had the rear shocks freeze up on a ride. They were bad and had taken in moisture.

I replaced the rear skid with an X-TRA 10, put plastic skis on from a newer Ski-Doo, messed with the jetting a bit, bought a couple of Yamaha belts, that was about it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have a ZR skid under one of my Yamis
About the only real things that should be done is dropping a tooth off the top gear will really wake it up
A better lugged track too
And as said plastic skis are nice, I just bushed down a set of Cat skis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts