Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just joined, site looks great! I just picked up my first sled, a 78 Exciter 340. Its in decent shape and runs great. I had a couple questions regarding the sled and doing some prev. maintenance.

I want to change out the chaincase oil and check the chain tension. Can I use a good RTV silicone instead of the 20.00 gasket from Yamaha to seal it back up?

I am going over the suspension now, and it seems a little loose underneath. There is a bar that runs across the front of the sliders that seems very loose, is that normal? Looks as if I can just tighten it up. Idlers and hardware seem ok besides the blown out shock.

One last thing, is there any way to adjust the suspension springs to give a little more ride height? I know these dont have much, but it seems to squat and not come back up unless you pull the back of the sled up. Just doesnt seem right. Maybe a coilover shock would help?

Thanks for your patience. Snows a comin and would like to get her tip top before heading out for a day of fun!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do...

The P.O. mounted an aluminum brace on the front of the hood and poorly recovered the seat. Nothing I cant fix. Has a new windshield and a bunch of new mechanicals. It's a little beat up but, hey, so was my first car!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would remove the rear suspension to give it a good once over and replace all worn or broken pieces. There has to be a pivot or shaft that is frozen if the sled will not come back up. I have used rtv with the old oring on the chaincase of my '77 Exciter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:laugh::laugh: No thats my DADS first car...:eek:

I paid 300 for it. Some extra parts included. I already have 5 hours of seat time on it with just the minor issues I asked about. Starts on first pull when warm, 2nd when cold. Changed plugs and fuel lines for good measure. Disconnected the oil pump and runs great on 40:1 mix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonna try to get a better look at the suspension tomorrow before the snow flies here. Is there anything besides the sealed bearings that can be lubed or greased?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
You have to take the suspension off, take out the pivot shafts, then grease them. They have no grease fittings. Check your slides too. put it all back in and you should be good to go.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
If you have a chance to buy a 440 do it. Man that thing is fun, and it will keep up with my uncles 583, until tops out at 85 MPH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest, I'm impressed by how this little guy runs! I got it to 70, and it felt like it had a little more left in it! I actually ran out of lake haha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some research and studied diagrams on the suspension. Going to tackle the suspension check tomorrow and fix the dim light/ground problem. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
That's a nice sled for $300!

Btw, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Glad to be here!

After a thorough going over of the suspension today, it could be worse. But it could be better too. The shock isnt only blown out, but also binding, which is causing the rear suspension to not rebound right. The limiter strap near the front of the rails is missing too. Oh yeah, and the track is JUNK!

Pretty much what I expected for a 32 year old machine. Good thing is the wheels are all ok, springs and hardware look good, and I greased as much as I could without yanking the whole suspension. I guess I will have to stay close to home and put around on it till I get the new parts. Snow is comimg tomorrow though. Bummer.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
doing 70 on them old things are scary! but i think most of us have done it once or twice. Does that have ski spreaders on it? if not get some or make some for it.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Yeah, most sleds of that age are not ventured far from home with.. :laugh:

Hope you can get it all fixed up!

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
doing 70 on them old things are scary! but i think most of us have done it once or twice. Does that have ski spreaders on it? if not get some or make some for it.
It is! That close to the ground it feels like 120! :eek:

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
yup i had a old rupp with a racing 440 chaparel motor in it. would do like 75 or 80 and it was scary on the lake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is! That close to the ground it feels like 120! :eek:
Yeah I will say that it felt faster. It was pretty stable though..even on the ice! Didnt kick out or do anything stupid. I have ridden an old Rupp and a couple of old Cats..and I gotta say this one is more comfortable and stable. This thing runs too good not to put a little money into. I just wont expect it back out of it :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts