Snowmobile Forum banner

New to forums AND the world of sleds! Well, kinda.

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  KCCats2 
#1 ·
Hello! My name is Gabe, and I’m from the southwestern side of North Dakota (not quite the Badlands, but close enough that I could drive there in ten minutes) and have never owned a sled. I am seventeen and have been looking on a local website (bisman) for a sled and I think I may have found one if I can get my parents on board and talk the price down a bit. I love winter, love sleds (vintage ones especially), and am looking at a career in military aviation. My experience is fairly limited, as the only thing I have driven solo is my dad’s Phazer 2. I am definitely open to talking about what to buy (I really don’t want to spend more than $1,500-$2,000)!

#8 ·
Just as a simple ride around the yard sled you can't go wrong with a old Indy Trail or Indy 500. Simple and cheap especially now.

Steve
I found an Arctic Cat Sabercat 700 EXT with a 141in track for $3,700... its in REALLY good shape and I feel like I could talk the guy down quite a ways using KBB’s price and pointing out a few kinks here and there. Thoughts?

#5 ·
The Indy 500 is a great suggestion, that engine was used in more sleds than any other made by Polaris. It's known for being durable and has adequate HP for most use. If you can find one with an Xtra-10 suspension, that suspension is a lot better than the earlier ones.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck in the search.

#12 ·
Yes, that Sabercat can be a good sled. Price is high though. Worth probably 2500 in PERFECT NO ISSUES condition. Even a small fix you might have trouble finding parts as 10 years old means the manufacturers don't have some specific parts anymore. I'd offer $1500 if it needs ANY work.

Steve
Thats about what I thought. Probably going to see if I can talk him down to about $750-$1,000.

#13 ·
Won't happen, you won't get that sled for that much cheaper if you do it would be shocking. As far as what it is worth depends on area, condition and miles. Don't listen about 10 years old and parts hard to find. Every time I hear that I laugh because it is not like the sled is 30-40 years old at this point. It is 16 years old at most and there is a ton of parts out there for those sleds that interchange with other Arctic Cats. Trust KC on it he will know what you should pay. Plus who direct from OEM anymore with most of the parts are available either new from aftermarket sources or in really good used condition from salvage yards or Hay Days.

#16 ·
So what would you say a 2005 with nice body panels, 1800 miles,working electric start and reverse, and a factory cover would be worth? Its in red, and from what I can tell in the pictures the owner took really good care of it. He’s looking to buy a new one so he wants the Sabercat off his hands ASAP.

#15 ·
Around here depending on miles and condition...3000-3300. As you don't see many of them here locally with it being a long track with paddles. Most are running trail sleds in Northeast Wisconsin because of that. Anywhere from a .75" to a 1.5" trail track and I would say the 1.5" is pushing it. Hell there is still 2006 Polaris Classic 600s-700s for 3,000 granted in almost mint condition but miles range from 4,000-7,000. But they are high demand in this area for their features and how nice they still ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.