Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 86 Srv today, the guy said it was used last season and has owned it since new. Got it home and pulled all the fuel system off and cleaned everything with new lines and a filter. Sled runs great other than when you stop the starter has to be used to take off again. If you dont hit the starter it will just bog out when you throttle it up, sometimes you can feather it up but not usually. Seems like lack of fuel? Jets are not plugged at all, I have had it apart 4 times. Would the float cause this? How do you set its proper position?

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
I don't understand... what do you mean by the starter needing to be used again?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will bog when you hit the gas and not take off from a stop. The only way to take off is to hit the starter/choke then once it moves you can turn it off and it runs good until the next time you stop or slow way down.

·
Polaris
132 Posts
That starter trick can't be good for the starter... Sounds like a clutch or belt issue. Clean the clutch and make sure the correct belt is on it and is in good shape. I'm guessing the clutch is grabbing too much too quick and killing the engine before the rpms can get up to where they need to be.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
It will bog when you hit the gas and not take off from a stop. The only way to take off is to hit the starter/choke then once it moves you can turn it off and it runs good until the next time you stop or slow way down.
Where do you have the idle set on this machine (rpm's). It should idle around 1800. I had the same problem with my son's new prowler which was idling at 1k. I adjusted the idle up to 1.8k and now have no bogging issues.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
That starter trick can't be good for the starter... Sounds like a clutch or belt issue. Clean the clutch and make sure the correct belt is on it and is in good shape. I'm guessing the clutch is grabbing too much too quick and killing the engine before the rpms can get up to where they need to be.
I am pretty sure he means enricher/choke. The knob has the word "starter" under it. Just trying to clear things up.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
if you have to hit the enrichener, starter, choke, or whatever you want to call it, you have an obstruction in the pilot circuit. pilot jet, air jet, mixture screw, etc.

carbs are not clean, period.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not clutch or belt, idles at about 1800 and clutch engages at about 3500 but will bog before that. Original clutch was toasted and I put on my just rebuilt one off my Exciter 2 and it is the same clutch. I have been through this carb several times. The float won't cause this? I will try cleaning it again, if no luck I guess I will try the carb off my blown piston SRV.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Also, check the crank seals and carb boots. Just spray some starting fluid or carb cleaner on them. if the RPM increases, you have detected a leak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, cleaned carb again, no luck. Swapped carb with known good carb off blown up sled, same F'n thing!! :mad: No leaks on carb boot. :dunno: Reed valves? Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
backing up just a bit, by doing the same thing are you meaning you need to use the choke to eliminate the bog?

also, you mention a clutch change. what specific year exciter II clutch did you put on?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, still need to use the choke to eliminate bog from take off. The Exciter is a 91 I'm pretty sure, the clutch looks the exact same with the same numbers on it.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
clutches will be the same on the outside, spring and weights will be different.

hitting the choke to remove a bog is not normally associated with the clutching. its more so a fuel issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When you said you went through the fuel system did you replace the fuel lines? If so make sure that they aren't smaller then the ones it came with because this can block fuel

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Either a lack of suction from the engine or a fuel problem. I'd doubt it's the fuel pump because when they go bad they usually let TOO MUCH fuel in. Don't rule that out, they are pretty cheap. When you put your hand over the back of the carbs and have someone pull it over, would you say you have decent suction?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so after alot of work and riding this is what is going on. I put on a new fuel pump and a different carb ( came off of good running sled ) I set air/mix screw to 2 1/2, I set idle at 1800, and I went through the whole fuel system to make sure all clamps on new hoses are tight. Now the sled runs great on choke but wont idle with choke on, Idles great with choke off. Carb is squeaky clean and ran great on the other sled so thats not it. Very Very confused. Any ideas now?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
just a shot in the dark, but is the choke cable adjusted properly?

the symptoms dont make any sense, but seem to me choke related. you would have had to loosen that to swap carbs.

what would happen if you swapped choke cable and plunger from the known good sled/carb? easy to swap and worth a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked compression or leak down on the engine? just a thought..... could have a weak cylinder or blow by.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts