Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just picked up my 2005 AC Z 440 LX this saterday. Yea i know it is only a 440 :( but i am 17 and my mom bought it for me and we do alot of trail riding and she wouldnt buy anything faster. We are part of a privet ranch that has 14,000 acres of land in notheren lower michagen and i noticed that rideing on the packed dirt roads i get no steering tracktion at all. So my first mods are going to me Carbide bars, Studs, and new exhaust. I need some sugestion with brands and what not. Thanks guys i am also open for other sugestions.

Anyone have a clue on top speed after break in? I only have 50 miles on dealer told me no full throtel for 200 miles.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Be sure to look into how many studs would be best for your riding style. That will determine how long of a carbide to put on...

more studs w/ short carbide = no turning

less studs w/ long carbide = back end coming around in turns

Key rule... the more studs, the longer the carbide. the fewer the studs the shorter the carbide.

The amount of studs depends on how much power the sled has and your riding style. Here's a good chart with different riding styles I found on the Woody's web site for YOUR sled...

TRAIL APPLICATION:
Stud Length: 0.875
Stud Quantity: 48
Recommended Runner(s): 4" 60 DEGREE CARBIDE EXTENDER III EAT3-9850

INTERMEDIATE APPLICATION:
Stud Length" 0.875
Stud Quantity: 96
Recommended Runner(s): 4" 60 DEGREE CARBIDE EXTENDER III EAT3-9850
-or-
6" 60 DEGREE CARBIDE TRAIL BLAZER IV TAT4-9850

PERFORMANCE APPLICATION:
Stud Length: 0.875
Stud Quantity: 96
Recommended Runner(s): 6" 60 DEGREE CARBIDE TRAIL BLAZER IV TAT4-9850

The Runner (or carbide) names and part numbers are Woody's brand. The same lengths apply for other brands.

As for the actual stud (brand, composition) depends on how much money you want to spend and what your riding on and how durable you want them to be. Either way, your gonna lose a few once in a while.

As for exhaust, stay stock unless you are planning on re jetting. Clutch work is also recommended, but re jetting at the very least. If you do actually decide to do the exhaust, stay with something quite. Don't want to lose those trails. But on the other hand, if your planning on riding on your own property and don't mind the noise, go for something loud if thats what your into. Just take it from me, it gets quite annoying after 3 or 4 hours of listening to a loud exhaust. I'm actually thinking about putting my stock silencer back on.

As for a brand... I like Black Magic. They have everything you will need listed on their web site for exhausts. They also do clutching. They actually have clutch kits that go with the pipes.

Anyone see anything I missed?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aight man thanks for the help. Would it be really dumb if i went and got Carbide without getting studs? I want better stearing but dont want to put it in shop in the middle of season.

·
Registered
282 Posts
it wouldnt hurt anything, but the back end will more than likely be coming around on you. if you want steering though, yeah, go for it... just take it easy around turns when on hard pack.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang so if i do go with carbide with no stud i am not going to solve any problems. I am sick of going 5 around truns and if i go faster i slide across untill i hit some loss snow. But the way u make it sound if i get my carbide i am jsut going to get more front grip and loss my back grip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Try the carbides just be carefull for the first little while, Im surprised it didn't have carbides from the factory.You may just need to set your suspension up.Go thru your owners manual, you're young and you'll learn quick.When you think you have a handle on what adjustments you want to make, see if you can get someone with a little experience to give you a hand.

Forget about the pipe.There isn't any more hp in that fan cooled 440 anyhow.When your riding it like you stole it all day everyday,in a year or 2 see about upgrading.

Lastly, thank your mom every single time you start that baby up!
.:D :D
When I was your age I'd spend days in a drafty old shed putting heart and soul into old junkers just to get a 1/2 hour ride in on the weekend;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL thanks man yea i am really greatful my mom actually got it for me. So are u saying i cant do anything to it to make it faster? Do u have any idea what the top speed will be after break in?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The top speed will probabaly be around 75-80 MPH or so. My friend just got 6 inch carbides on his indy trail and he has no studs and the thing turns on a dime!! It is going to be hard to find exhaust for a fan cooled sled, plus it wouldnt make it any faster, besides like a MPH or two.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK thanks man!!!!!1

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife has the same sled. I doesn't come with carbides. It has wearbars. No grip at all. Put woody's 4' 60 degree carbides on it. No studs. Works great

·
Registered
570 Posts
snowandski88 said:
Hey guys i just picked up my 2005 AC Z 440 LX this saterday. Yea i know it is only a 440 :( but i am 17 and my mom bought it for me and we do alot of trail riding and she wouldnt buy anything faster. We are part of a privet ranch that has 14,000 acres of land in notheren lower michagen and i noticed that rideing on the packed dirt roads i get no steering tracktion at all. So my first mods are going to me Carbide bars, Studs, and new exhaust. I need some sugestion with brands and what not. Thanks guys i am also open for other sugestions.

Anyone have a clue on top speed after break in? I only have 50 miles on dealer told me no full throtel for 200 miles.

What is the ranch? Some kind of commune or cult? Michigan Militia training center?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 03 440 esr and that has quite a bite of power good for trail riding and super light i am 13 and i can lift it with ease

1 - 13 of 13 Posts