Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the 1990 Arctic Cat El Tigre EXT 530. It's in surprisingly good shape. The seat only has one small tear, about 1'' long. The hood has a small piece missing out of the front but not a big deal. The track is pretty junky, so when I get some more money and if I have it long enough, it'll get replaced. The guy said it ran really well a few years ago but they got 2 other sleds and this one just sat. He said it sat for a couple years (inside his nice, clean shop) and then he took it to someone to have them clean and go through the carbs and he said after he got it back it ran but not very well, so he just put it back in his shop. It has about 4,741 miles on it, but pulling it over real slow it's got good compression so I'm not worried. I had to go to the doctor again today and have some extremely painful sh*t done so I won't do much with it today probably, but tomorrow I'm gonna hit it hard. I'm gonna drain the tank and put in fresh gas, possibly today if I can get a siphon pump. I'll have some pictures up in a few minutes.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Nice sled..lol you have your own again! :laugh:

What'd you shell out for that?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have a 91 ext 530 with a talk skid and 1" paddle track. I love that machine!! Real fast for a 530! I have theold skid with all new bearings,wheels, slides, and springs I'd sell of you meed it.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
oh man, taring up the trails again Jordan. Nice man. Glad to see you on your own sled again. Just promise me you'll tear it all up

·
Registered
318 Posts
El tigres are one of my personal favorites! Have fun with that one!

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice sled..lol you have your own again! :laugh:

What'd you shell out for that?
Thanks man. I gave $100 for it. We got the garage cleared out and the sled is in there now. I'm out of carb cleaner but tomorrow I'm gonna get some more and new plugs and then tear into it. I checked for spark tonight and both sides have strong spark. I'm gonna be watching on CL for a new nose cone, which will make this sled almost perfect cosmetically. The way this sled is set up, I can stand comfortably without being hunched over much at all, which is a BIG plus. My original thoughts were to buy this, get it going and then sell it, but I just may keep it through the year. It isn't the newest or the nicest, but it's just fine for me and for only $100 I can stick quite a bit of money into it and at least get my money back if I decide to sell it next year.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the sled to start on it's own and run for a little bit. I think the combination of dirty carbs and bad gas and bad plugs makes it very hard to start and when you give it throttle it bogs and will die if you hold the throttle open long enough. The carb boots are also ripped very badly (noticed this when I got it..) so I'm gonna need new ones too. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and get a price on them and maybe get them ordered if they're cheaper than $28.66 a piece, which is what I've found for a price online. I'm going to pick up 2 new plugs and 2 cans of carb cleaner tomorrow and also get a siphon pump to get the old gas out. I've checked over all the fuel line and it isn't cracked anywhere, which is good. The carb boots I didn't even think about when I first was thinking about how much I would need to spend for parts. I'd say $75 or so and I'll have this thing going good.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
The 530 EXT is my main rider and I love it! It's plenty fast and is extremely stabil. $100 bucks sounds like a d#@! good price. I have 7k onb mine and it still has 120 psi on each cylinder. Good luck. I'll try to help you with questions if you need.:thumbsup:

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good. We're supposed to get 6-10'' soon, which would be awesome. Too bad I won't be able to ride it until I either get those carb boots completely taped up or new ones. I should be able to get it running good tomorrow after I get the carbs cleaned and some new plugs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice looking sled for 100 bucks! looks like a good project and you will have your own sled again. Is it just me or is the now flap on your cougar gone? haha

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha yea it's gone. Hasn't had one since we got the sled, but I want one on there. As soon as I get this sled going, there shall be a race, between the EXT and the Cougar. I'll be sure to get that on video.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
Nice sled you going to flip it?

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna try get it running decent today. My dad's old carb boots from the Cougar are ripped a little but are in way better shape than the ones on the sled, so we're going to completely tape them up good with duct tape just to get me by while I wait for new ones to come. If I get those boots on and the sled running today, I'll probably ride it a little and maybe make a little vid of it for you guys.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Hey Jordan, that bogging issue might be the throttle override system. I just had to jumper mine out last week, it was causing my mid range bog. Once I made that change, she was back to her old self.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
That's a lot of sled for $100! Nice score!

You could make some money if you traded it off after fixing it up, but I think that would be a great second sled to keep if you got something else.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what I've been thinking about more and more. It's almost too nice and right now is too cheap to not keep it. I got the boots ordered today (guy i talked to on the phone was an @$$, but anyways), but who knows how long it'll take the stealer to get them in. It's snowing enough here to make the roads in town pretty bad, so I'm not sure if my dad will want me out and about getting stuff to get it going today. If I decide to try sell it, I'm gonna put $600 on it and then just not take any less for it. The boots will be $60 and the other stuff not including gas will be probably $20 or so.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dad is doctoring the boots from his Cougar right now with some hot glue and duct tape, so they should be okay to use on the EXT until the new ones come in.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts