Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I bought my wife a 1999 rmk indy 700 with the same throttle setup. I think I have a bad engine kill switch on the 09'. The 99' has a tether installed, comparing them side by side will help. I'll update when I get back from Thanksgiving. But the 99' has a resting throttle position with the pin not pressed in which is the same as the 09'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update....still working on this thing. I'm now troubleshooting the fuel system. Can anyone tell me the recommended fuel pressure? Right now it's only reading 25psi when priming, and starts to drop as soon as you pull the power. I'm thinking it's either a regulator or pump. When cranking I get no fuel pressure....it's back to not starting...a small spray of starting fluid and it fires up for a couple seconds and then dies after the starting fluid is used up. I have the tank shroud and side panel off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I can't find the exact number but the only reference I've found was 60 psi...??? Can you replace the pump with a walbro....the only other reference I've found about that was a walbro 155 lph?

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? If those get clogged, it will really reduce fuel flow.

The Polaris web page doesn't really show much of a breakdown of the throttle block, but what the do show does not show any spring. I know when I press the throttle on my sleds, the throttle at the pin moves toward the center of the sled. If you hold the throttle pivot point to keep it from moving and apply throttle, it kills the engine (as designed.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update....here's what I have so far....I pulled the pump and in tank assembly. The clear rubber hose (opposite the fuel pump was broken off. I reattached the hose to the nipple to complete the loop. I tried to prime it again and I'm getting about the same results. Manual priming brings the fuel pressure to 15-18psi and now drops but slightly slower than before down to 0 (about 20-30 seconds) When I crank it it builds 0 fuel pressure. A quick shot of starting fluid will make it fire right up (all while forcing the throttle safety switch pressed in...it won't start with the pin not pressed in) I just got the safety switch and the fuel pump and regulator will be here tomorrow. Is there anything else that could be causing these issues....is there a relay or switch I am missing that could be bad? It seems unlikely these 2 parts would fail at the same time...I usually don't start throwing parts at stuff but I'd like to get this thing finished as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
You may want to check out Snowest regarding priming the fuel pump. If you're getting 0 pressure, maybe the fuel pump is dead... this link explains how to prime it with a battery. Good luck, hope you get it before the snow gets here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got the new pump and regulator last night...I'll try and get it in this afternoon and see what happens. I read the article and it sound like it might be a bad/gummed up check valve in the pump. Since it builds less pressure than the normal 58 psi and then immediately starts to drop after the power is pulled from the priming plug. I also had to order a different throttle safety switch as the one I originally ordered had the wrong connection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I put the new pump and regulator in and got the fuel system buttoned back up. Primed the system for 20-30 seconds. The new pump fixed the fuel pressure issue. It almost instantly goes up to 58-60psi and holds steady with no drop in psi. It still wont' activate when cranking...as soon as I start cranking it will drop down to 0 psi and won't move again until I manually prime it...I have a spare CD ignition box that I switched out to test and there was no change. Where should I start looking now or what to test? I'm starting to think ECU? What controls the fuel pump with the key on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still don't have it going...it's gotta be something simple but I can't figure it out...I've called a few shops and nobody has time/tools to look at it.

It has spark
It has compression 120psi both cylinders
It has a new fuel pump/regulator but no pressure

I've started doing what I didn't want....throwing parts at it
New CD Ignition Box...no change
New Rectifier...no change
New engine kill switch...no change

All my testing comes down to 2 main issues.
1: The fuel pump won't/doesn't turn on when the key is turned
I can manually prime the system with the battery and prime plug on the harness. Fuel pressure hold at 60 psi while priming and hold steady with the pump off.

2: It won't fire without pressing in the throttle kill switch.

It fires up instantly when doing 2 things...leaving the fuel pump priming plug hooked up to the battery and pressing in the engine kill switch.

What am I missing????

Why is the fuel pump not turning on when the key is turned?

Why is the engine kill switch acting the opposite as it should?

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
The fuel pump may not be running off of the battery. Neither my 08 600 or 07 700 have batteries. First pull of the rope charges the fuel line, second pull usually fires the engine. Unless you get lucky or have a longer than average pull rope.

On my 800 SKS, there is no fuel pump sound when I turn it on. It has electric start. Again, first pull charges the fuel rail, second pull starts it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have you double checked all your grounds and wires? Something not shorting out possibly? This just sounds like it is a bad ground or cut wire or shorting out kinda thing to me. I had something similar on my '92 Indy 500 EFI and I found a bad ground causing all sorts of issues throughout the sled. Years of corrosion just did it in.

Best of luck figuring it out and soon as its almost Christmas...We all want snow for Christmas...Or in some peoples cases...A Christmas snowmobile ride! Did that a few years ago, left at 8 in the morning came back at 5 pm...The Mom was not happy with me or Dad,lol.

Good luck!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts