Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my kid a 98 srx 600 . It's only got 400Km on it ,However the guy just put in a shed turned the key off and didn't go back into the shed for 12 years(yesterday).Are pulling the carbs off a tricky job,also how do I dial back oil pump.(pump is still set in new sled mode from the dealer).THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pulling and cleaning your carbs is pretty straight forward. just keep track of everything and where it all goes. when taking apart the carbs turn in all the adjustment screws and count the turns (don't over tighten just until they bottom out,write it down if you have to) so when its time to put them back together you will know where to set them..there are a lot of good info in the how to section..just my 0.02...

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
The biggest problem will be varnish buildup in all the small passages in the carbs. If the gas was left to evaporate, there is varnish built up that the aerosol stuff doesn't work well on. I would remove the carbs and clean properly, making sure to clean all the small fuel and air passages that lead to the different circuits in the carb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check the air flow, and fuel flow, if they are out of wack or not the right mixture you will smoke a piston or something. Just check it out, if it seems to be running good i wouldn't worry about that though

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
I would leave the oil pump setting as is for now....at least until you have a good flavor on how it runs. Then calculate oil usage & adjust as needed.
Needless to say, clean out fuel tank really well (might apply to oil tank, as well)

BTW - Nice find!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The best thing for cleaning "green" carbs is Mercury Marine ( Power Tune ) have had brass that was just ugly. Soak it in that overnite and looks like new the next day, no scrubbing or brushing needed.

Dave

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
I would also try to get oil down to the crank being it has sat so long before you try firing it.

·
King of the Universe
6,674 Posts
Remove plugs & put a squirt of oil in each cylinder....turn the engine over by hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts