Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this sled tonight and I already have a problem. I rode it at the sellers house without any problems. Reverse worked, everything was fine. The sled only has 1800 miles and looks brand new. I drove it up on the trailer and got it home, which I then proceeded to reverse off the trailer. I got it down the ramps onto the snow and it got hung up a bit so I had to pull the skis around, no problem. I backed it up a little more and went to get my helmet and gloves for a short run around the yard. I flipped the lever to forward, gave it some throttle and it moved about 3' and stopped. I'm not sure what's happening, but the sled will just barely lurhc forward at abour 4K RPM's. I raised up the track with a stand and tried to get it to move, but it didn't move as free as it did before. I called the previous owner asking him what I did wrong and he said that reversing down the ramps on the trailer porbably did something to the "linkage". He then told me to pick up and drop the backend of the sled a few times and that will jar it loose and it should be fine. I tried that and it didn't work. The sled idles perfect and everything works, but it will barely move with even as much as 4K RPM's. I know something is wrong, but this is my first sled and I'm a bit new to these things. Could something have been jarred or bent when I backed it down the ramps?

I'd also like to know if there is an online version of the factory service manual. I have no owners manual or anything and I need something to learn about this machine from. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
323 Posts
4k rpm is around the normal clutch engagment rpm. This is when it just starts to grab and go. Have you tried giving it more throttle? And if it does not work properly doing so, does it make any wierd noises?

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I don't remember the revs having to be that high to get the sled to move when I drove it at the previous owners house. I've gone up to 5 and 6K, but the sled still only lurches, like it's having a hard time getting the power to the track. I'm thinking the upper or lower gear or maybe the chain...but I haven't opened up the cover yet. It was around midnight when I was messing with this, AND I don't have a manual or anything to go by. I'm going to the dealer today to get the FSM, and I won't be able to get back up to White Lake until Thursday afternoon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah, it's probably not fully engaging back to forward in the chaincase. Could be the linkage or gears.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to a mechanic at the dealer and he said it's not engaging. He said to put it back in reverse, pick up the back of the sled and drop it a couple of times, then start it and see if that works. He said the linkage is probably sticking from the sled not being used very often.
I have a receipt from the previous owner that the motor was completely rehauled at 1000 miles, and new gears and chain were installed. He called me about 10 minutes ago and asked me if I got it unstuck. He's going to meet me over there on Thursday and show me how to get it unstuck. I'm hoping this doesn't happen this weekend in the UP :eek:

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHA, as silly as that sounds, I spent 10 minutes looking for the parking brake!!! I didn't find one, so I'm assuming that it's not applied.

·
Registered
46 Posts
on most sleds, if you squeeze the brake lever, it will release, but im sure you already know that or have done that atleast once not even thinking about it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well atleast the sller is being a good bloke and trying to help you out rather then jsut saying who cares it's your problem right? Best of luck with getting it sorted out!

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, he's a good guy. He lives about 2 minutes away, and I can tell by talking to him on the phone that he feels bad. He offered to go over and fix it for me, but I want to be there with him. The sled is about an hour away, and this afternoon is the first time that our schedules agreed with each other to meet and get this taken care of.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found out what the problem was. I opened up the gearbox before the previous owner got there and found that I had snapped the chain. I got to looking a little closer and found that the chain guard on the left side of the housing, towards the back of the sled, had come loose and was resting at the bottom of the chaincase. I don't know if that guard caused the broken chain or if the broken chain took that out when it popped. At any rate, I'm replacing everything in there except the reverse gears. All three sprockets, chain, and both bearings will be new. That guard is help on by two countersunk screws, that are gone, they got chewed up in there and are now tiny particles of grit. The holes that these screws used are now stripped out, leading me to another problem. So, I had to remove the entire chaincase and I'll be working on that tomorrow. I'm assuming that little chainguard in there is fairly important, it looks like it protects the side of the aluminum case from the chain hitting it should it ever become loose or break, but I could be mistaken.
So, the case is sitting on my workbench waiting for me to figure out how I'm gonna get that chainguard back secured in the case. I was thinking I could tap out the holes and use bigger screws. Or I could take it to a machine shop and show them the problem and say this little guard needs to be secured right here, now do your thing. I'll give the guy $20 and be done with it.
I guess snowmobiling is out this weekend because I'm sure Polaris won't have all of this stuff in stock and it will have to be ordered. Which puts me ready to go next weekend, should all the parts arrive in a reasonable time....ugh. I LOVE SNOWMOBILING!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
New or old, snowmobiling is a wrenching mans/womans sport. The saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" does not exist here. Always tinkering or wrenchin' for one reason or another.

Best of luck getting her trail worthy! Glad you figured out the problem, to bad it happened before you got a good days ride in. Coulda been a lot worse, 50 miles from home decided to turn around on a trail and clunk some one is getting towed.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even though I am upset that I couldn't go tearing up the trails right away, I feel this is a blessing in disguise. It could have happened on the trails or the lake, but I'm in a heated garage with all the right tools, it couldn't happened at a better time. This also gives me a chance to really understand how the whole chain/gear mechanism works. The more knowledge I have about this machine, the better off I'll be.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey JimmyV13, you were on white lake ay? Did you happen to see the races out there last weekend? Holly hell that was crazy, lakes been frozen for a month, and there had to be 1000 people walking around 500 cars and trucks and trailers, and who know how many sleds. BTW they were over infront of white lake inn. I also saw a tow truck pulling a tractor off the ice that fell through... Woo that suckS! I live about 5 minutes away from the lake. Let me know if you wanna go for a ride sometime..

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was out there last weekend for the last couple of races. There were SO many sleds out there. I couldn't believe the amount of $$ those guys put in their sleds, trucks, and trailers. My girlfriend and I were walking around looking for a sled to buy.

I wanted to get on the lake today, but I didn't have a way to get down there and I'd rather stay off the side of the road. I wish I would've had your number, I have no idea where to ride around here. My girlfriends house is on the North half of Ormond about a 1/4 mile up from White Lake Rd. Are you on Jackson Blvd? We are about 5 minutes from the lake as well.

I finally got my sled back together and ran around the yard for most of the day today, just making sure I got it back together right. I ended up getting a new chaincase with the new internals. I figured I might as well go with a new piece instead of keeping the old one. The previous owner was there with me for all of the installation process. This being my first ever snowmobile repair, I'm glad I had someone there that has been riding since the 70's to answer my questions. Everything seems to be fine, reverse works, and I'm happy again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I live over ON duck lake, There really isn't all that much around here. There are trails on Duck Lk. Rd, but I think they are always beat to hell. PM me next time your comin out to the lake, I'm only 16, but I LOVE to ride, and not a ton of my friends ride. Glad you got that sled back together, with the captain. Thats a pretty in depth "first" repair in my book lol. Anyways one of my friends lives on Grass Lk. Road, thats right there. We live about Maybe ten miles apart if you go across the lake. I guess there are also some trails up behind Alpine, the ski hill, never been back there though. Yeah let me know next time you wanna ride..

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen a few sleds around Teggerdine Rd heading towards Alpine ski hill, it looks pretty decent there. I've wondered how it is back there...no-one seems to know. I really want to get out to White Lake, too. What sucks is that I live in Ypsilanti and my sled stays in White Lake since there is absolutely no where to ride around here.

I might go out Thursday afternoon for a little bit. We are packing up the trailer Thursday night for our trip and I'd like to get a decent run in before we take off. PM me your mobile number, and I'll give you a call when I get to White Lake and we'll see if we can meet up....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yess Sir, PM will be sent PRONTO! Ill try to get 3 or 4 friends from around here to ride around. We could go explore behind alpine lol..

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool deal. I'm not sure how I can get over there, though, without trailering it there. I guess I could ride down the side of the road, I've seen sled marks in peoples yards all the way from Ormond to Teggerdine. You guys could probably meet me at Ormond and we could all ride together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts