Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 indy trail. ahs the 488fan motor..... On a cold start maybe idleing 3-5 min then taking off the sled is super fast.... but once i have been riding for maybe 8-10 its slowed down alot and will not pick up speed.. Pretty much sucks once its warm.. Please help asap we got 6-8 inch of snow in the last couple days and need to fix so i can ride
thanks

·
OLDCRUISER
174 Posts
first thing is to check is your plugs may look fine but replace them.if thaty doesnt work clean the carbs which you should every season . Next check for any leaks around the head gasket if you find any replace it. these are just some simple starting points.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plugs look great.... they were actually pretty good when i got the sled but changed them anyways... They are a golden brown and a buddy of mine said it was still running a little fat.... which is ok....there are no leaks around the headgasket..... and i also cleaned the carbs i been riding today and we have a windchill of -20 in iowa right now and it seems to be running alot better..

·
Registered
142 Posts
did you clean the tank when you got it? You might of had some debree get caught in the line

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didnt check the tank because the kid was still riding it i have been rejetting it trying to get it running right,,, and i never checked the coil anyway i can check the coil...

·
PanicAttack
490 Posts
might check your fuel pump...

Have a 94 Jag that was doing the same thing, would run great for a little bit then bog down and die, I cleaned the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines, even bypassed the fuel shutoff and it still did the same thing. So I got to thinking the only thing in line that I hadn't cleaned yet was the fuel pump, so I did, and it runs great now.

I figured when it was sitting idle it had enough suction to fill up the gas lines, but after a little bit of riding it was basically running all the gas out of the lines and would either run like crap, or not at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has all new gas lines, and i tore the fuel pump and cleaned it all really good when i cleaned the carbs...... If i just let it sit for around 30-45 min after riding and let it get cold again then go back out it is like its a different sled... once it gets warm its slow way down.... i have been told it could be the belt once it gets hot or it could also be the clutch.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts