Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd say hey... I will be picking up a 1997 XC 600 later this week.

This will be my first time back on a sled since 1993. I decided on this sled just because it was cheap, how cheap? Can't tell ya, but it was a great deal.

Basically it will be used for 99% trail riding in MN/WI nothing hard core, just out to enjoy the ride. (I've been getting into sportbike racing for the past 2 years, I know how fast speed can get outta hand!! ;) )

Once I have it in the garage I plan to change the gear oil, clean the carbs, may have to rebuild the shocks, but is there anything else I should look for/go over on this paticular year sled? BTW, the odometer just turned 2,000 miles.

Any help is greatly apreciated!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on your new ride.I think you have a pretty good machine there with only 2000 miles.I put 2500 miles on my polaris 600 last year,excellent machine.I think you'll be happy with your purchase.
Just check the main things out like belt condition,track,tunnel.If the engine and under hood areas are clean it's a good bet the machine was looked after.Also remove the belt guard if it's clean under there that's also a good sign.

Let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Be sure to grease all of the grease fittings. Especially the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings, which you'll probably have to remove the secondary clutch to get to. Other than that, just stick to checking the stuff you already mentioned and make sure all nut and bolts are securely fastened and everything feels solid. And it's always good to replace the hyfax (slides) before you start the season.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!!
Well it is now sitting in the garage while I'm at work. :( The sled was VERY clean. First thing I did was check out the belly pan & tunnel and everything is perfect, doesn't even look like it has bottomed out, ever. Poor thing appears to have been very babied for its 2,029 miles. Front shocks are good, back one is a bit squishy, so I'll prob end up rebuilding that one. Over all very impressed with the purchase. I plan to give it a thorough look over later tonight.
One thing that sucks is it appears to have a crap load of studs. Not familier with studs but it appears to have a pattern of 2 ever lug in the center, then 2 on the outside every other lug..... Would this be the same as 144 or 96?? Not thrilled aobut that as MN you get to pay that extra $20 for "Traction Management" tabs... O well.
Did I mention it has hand warmers? O baby I'm in heaven. The triple sounds mean, can't wait to let her loose! I'm use to a hum of a inline four motorcycle or the grunt of a v-twin. But there is just something about the triple that sounds mean...

Crossing fingers for more snow!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
that stud pattern is 144, that would be fine, but i would suggest taking the outside ones out so you have 96. i've never had much luck w/ the outside ones. they always rip out and window the track. but w/ 144 you may not have problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was under the impression that the 97 XC was a twin,you'll love the triple.I had a 97 XLT 600 loved it.I regret getting rid of that one,Although i do love my 600 Classic Touring.You are right nothing sounds like a triple.Sounds like you got yourself a nice sled.Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just traded in my wifes 97 Ultra XC SP 700 triple-it had a sticker that said use high octane fuel only-and its a good idea in the perfomance sleds. Other than that you could call a local dealer and ask their opinion-I'm sure they would oblige. Good luck and have fun.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts