Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ive finally got myself another sled after being away from the sport for 30 years.I picked up a 2002 SXViper and would like to change the front sway bar bushings that are mounted at the frame but one of the rivets that hold the retaining bracket is behind the body shell.Can this be done with only removing 3 of the rivets????.Other then that she is in excellent shape.
Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the sway bar should be one continuous piece. it attaches to the trailing arm via a bushed dogbone type fitting. where it goes into the bulkhead there are two plastic pieces retained by the metal bracket with the four rivets. which bushings are you trying to replace?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
wow. those need replaced? what i have done in the past on other trailing arm yamahas, havent done one on a viper yet, i know the belly pan is shaped differently, is i was able to knock the head off the rivet with a chisel coming in from the front side of the machine.

i know what your up against. on the right side of the machine the upper left rivet is not reachable with a drill. opposite for the left side. perhaps a dremel might fit. i was doing the opposite, i was removing the sway bars so i wasnt concerned about putting the all the rivets back in. i made block off plates to keep the snow out so there was no pressure on them.

i have never seen those pieces wear out. interesting. i probably have a half dozen of those laying around somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what differenc did it make just removing them, these are the only thing thats losse in the whole front end which is why I thought id get replacements

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i was removing the entire sway bar assembly. its a mountain thing. i dont recall those pieces fitting real tight on the sway bars. seems like once the dogbone was unbolted the bar would have a certain amount play in it where it entered the bulkhead. and these were on newer low mileage machines.

i would be curious of the outcome if you did replace them just for my own knowledge. too bad the plastic body panels are put on after the swaybar. it just doesnt make for easy replacement. you would almost have to remove alot more rivets and plastic to do the job perfectly.

let me know the end result when your done. i am really curious now. i will check one out tommorrow with about a 1000 easy miles on it and see how much play there is at those brackets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Yamadad4 there seems to be aprox 1/8 to 3/16 play both sides.Are these bushings 2 piece or one if they are in 2 then I might be able to get away with only drilling out 3 of the rivets and bend the retainer out enough to replace em , watch ya think.
Thanks again
Rick

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the plastic bushings are in two pieces. i played with a low mile sled today since you had my curiosity up and the amount of movement you desribe is consistent with this sled.

when you move the stabilizer bar it appears as most of the freeplay is at the dogbones, more so than at the penetration through the bulkhead. at that penetration the bar would wiggle about 1/8- 3/16, as you mentioned. seemed more play was had on the left side as opposed to the right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so the play is normal then , that's good news now I can go ahead and get my suspension set up.
Thanks for the help
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts