Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new here (1st post actually), and am new to snowmobiling also. My wife and I just bought a new sled. I know, you're probably wondering why we bought a BRAND new sled if were new to snowmobiling...long story.

Anyway, we bought a 2021 Indy 550 LXT 2-up that were hoping to use out ice fishing and to pull the kids around on the sleds, and just your typical "snow day" fun.

One thing we ran into that has brought some confusion is getting a tow hitch on this thing so we can pull an ice shanty or hook a sled up. I've found a couple parts online that i THINK would work, but not 100% sure. I then contacted Polaris and have gotten very minimal help. Included in that "minimal help" was two different part numbers from Polaris. The first being the receiver and the second being the actual tow hitch. But when I search that part number (#2878344), it brings up 2 completely different options. One looks to be a different type of rear bumper that appears to have the receiver for the tow hitch, and the other looks like something you mount onto the existing rear bumper (I'm assuming anyway). I contacted the same guy at Polaris and he tells me "you need to remove the OEM bumper". That was the whole email.

So, would someone know a thing or two about how I have to go about doing this? I am confident I am making this harder than it is, but still.

If anyone has any help on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Original bumpers are fairly weak and you should install a heavy duty bumper. Not real familiar with how Polaris does it.

Why not take it back to the dealer and ask them to install it? Might cost a few extra bucks, but at least you won't run into possible warranty issues due to modification of the sled.

When I bought my 2015 brand new, I made the dealer put on the hitch. He gave me a discount (afterall, I just did spend $14k on a sled!)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
okay a quick followup. I see Polaris OEM only offers hitches for the Titans on their website. So the part number you gave is the OEM Pro Ride hitch. It looks like it is just the rear bumper and has a square hole in the back for a receiver (1" maybe?) type hitch:

What I don't see is if that will fit your machine. The key measurement is the width of the tunnel for the bumper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Original bumpers are fairly weak and you should install a heavy duty bumper. Not real familiar with how Polaris does it.

Why not take it back to the dealer and ask them to install it? Might cost a few extra bucks, but at least you won't run into possible warranty issues due to modification of the sled.

When I bought my 2015 brand new, I made the dealer put on the hitch. He gave me a discount (afterall, I just did spend $14k on a sled!)
Bad part is I never even thought about that when it was at the dealer getting ready to be sold to me. I assumed it was a pretty easy modification. I never realized it required a whole new part.

okay a quick followup. I see Polaris OEM only offers hitches for the Titans on their website. So the part number you gave is the OEM Pro Ride hitch. It looks like it is just the rear bumper and has a square hole in the back for a receiver (1" maybe?) type hitch:

What I don't see is if that will fit your machine. The key measurement is the width of the tunnel for the bumper.
The part that is in that link looks different than the one Polaris sent me. They sent me a part number 2878344, which looks like a whole new rear bumper (unless you google search and sometimes comes up as a completely different looking part), and another part number, which is just the actual hitch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is one of the parts that will come up if you search, and my guess is this is the right one.

And this is the other..

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
Welcome
You should really lean on your Stealer they should at least install it for you!

·
Registered
268 Posts
In looking at the 2021 Polaris accessory catalog, the 2878344 is the heavy duty receiver hitch. It is the one you need for your Indy per the catalog. You can then choose between three different hitches that fit in the receiver. Standard, 287667, Donut, 2874449, or J Hitch, 2879838.

There is also a stand alone hitch. 2882859. It comes with a replacement aluminum bumper that has holes in it for the hitch to bolt on to. You get both the bumper and hitch with this kit. It looks like this would be fine for pulling the kids or a light load. If you are pulling a fishing shack, I would go with the heavy duty receiver. Both bolt to the rear tunnel.

Reactions: LionsFan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In looking at the 2021 Polaris accessory catalog, the 2878344 is the heavy duty receiver hitch. It is the one you need for your Indy per the catalog. You can then choose between three different hitches that fit in the receiver. Standard, 287667, Donut, 2874449, or J Hitch, 2879838.

There is also a stand alone hitch. 2882859. It comes with a replacement aluminum bumper that has holes in it for the hitch to bolt on to. You get both the bumper and hitch with this kit. It looks like this would be fine for pulling the kids or a light load. If you are pulling a fishing shack, I would go with the heavy duty receiver. Both bolt to the rear tunnel.
I might have to see about getting the accessory catalog because when I click on the hitch receiver on their website it doesn’t bring it up.

Will that heavy duty one (or even the aluminum one) bolt right to the existing holes? Or do I need to drill some?

Reason I ask is the heavy duty reliever I found on Amazon, assuming it’s the same one, shows it with 6 bolts. However on my snowmobile it appears to only have 2 bolts on each sides holding it up.

Thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
My guess then is you would have to drill the extra holes. I have never messed with one, but there should be instruction with the kit on how to mount it. Are there dimples stamped in the tunnel to show you where to drill? My Ski Doo's have this from the factory so everything lines right up when you drill the holes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess then is you would have to drill the extra holes. I have never messed with one, but there should be instruction with the kit on how to mount it. Are there dimples stamped in the tunnel to show you where to drill? My Ski Doo's have this from the factory so everything lines right up when you drill the holes.
Then again, looking at the bumper that is on the 2021 accessory catalog, it looks like the 2 bolt holes on each side will line up. Been trying to talk to someone from Polaris but they’ve been no help at all. Probably will call my dealer and see what they say. All this, just to pull a darn ice shanty. Unbelievable

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have that receiver hitch on my machine and use the standard hitch. Originally bought it for my 2008 Polaris 600 Shift 155 and then transferred it to my 2015 600 Pro RMK. You will have to drill a couple of holes since the hitch is so long but I prefer doing that sort of thing myself since it's my machine and I have more ownership than some kid who's doing grunt work at the dealership. It adds weight to the machine but I guarantee that you won't have to worry about it bending or breaking like those that use the original bumper. I'll try to get some pictures and post in sometime in next day or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that receiver hitch on my machine and use the standard hitch. Originally bought it for my 2008 Polaris 600 Shift 155 and then transferred it to my 2015 600 Pro RMK. You will have to drill a couple of holes since the hitch is so long but I prefer doing that sort of thing myself since it's my machine and I have more ownership than some kid who's doing grunt work at the dealership. It adds weight to the machine but I guarantee that you won't have to worry about it bending or breaking like those that use the original bumper. I'll try to get some pictures and post in sometime in next day or so.
Oh man that would be great, thank u!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some photos I just went out and took if you need more let me know
I started installing mine today and was wondering, does the amount of contact on the snow flap really make a difference? Depending how I position the new bumper, it pushes the snow flap down a little bit. Is it really that critical how much wiggle room the snow flap has?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
As long as the snow flap doesn't get pushed into the track it should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
What Bear said.

On some sleds, the opposite is actually a problem. Some folks cut the flap shorter and then some of the snow that is supposed to cool the engine gets tossed out the back causing overheating. Plus, people riding behind you will enjoy not getting pelted by snow from your sled if the flap is lower...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts