Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm brand new to the whole snowmobiling scene so saying I'm a novice is a serious understatement. I've never even driven a sled before...

I'm just looking for some general advice. I have a few buddies that ride, some new some experienced but thought I'd see if I can get some information here before I head out for the first time. My Dads friend owns a marine and leisure company and found me a 2009 Ski Doo GSX Sport 500SS. I'm hoping it's a pretty good start for someone completely unexperienced. First off, what's' everyones opinion on that particular machine? Any pros/cons I should know about?

Also, when I jump on for the first time is there anything I should know other than start it up and hit the throttle? Like I said, I've literally never driven one before in my life and would like to have some knowledge before I jump on and ride with these fairly experienced riders. I know that they will help me along the way, I'd just like to go there knowing SOMETHING, lol.

Any and all advice you can throw my way I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well, welcome aboard friend ! Never driven a sled before...ever?! How old are you ? Experience comes with time & absorbing the good, the bad,& the ugly! How can I say this nicely... respect the power ! What I mean by that is the power can be your friend & it can be your enemy !It'll always be there. Remember your the one in control, not your friends.If you feel uncomfortable trying to keep up to them then slow down to the point that you are,it's not a race! They'll wait for you around the next bend,if there any kind of friends!I say this to you with the utmost respect ,because I've lost some good friends along the way. May they ride where it's always white & fluffy.

Now for the sled It's probably the best sled for you.... you'll like it !
Oh ya ....watch & learn!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
Welcome newbe, always remember to shift your weight to the same side of the sled that you are turning+ hang on tightly. the faster you turn the more you need to shift your weight, or the sled may keep going forward or go up on its side. take it slow at first there is a learning curve, it takes time in the saddle to become one with your sled.

·
Registered
588 Posts
And give yourself extra room to stop. The brakes will lock the track up, but quite often the sled will continue to slide a lot farther than you might expect. Test it out on different snow conditions - packed, ice, fluffy, etc. Have fun, you'll be hooked half way into the first ride!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
I agree with Mighty Quinn, DO NOT over ride/drive your sled, especially being new. You'll have more fun if you are around to ride it. Even the slightest bumps can be painful at high speeds. Experience comes with seat time too..

·
Registered
3 Posts
heres one i have a 1992 exciter 2 570 L/c and i was having problems with the sled bogging i narrowed it down to the secondary clutch so i took it off took it in and they took it apart and said the spring came out of the hole and was just spinning around so the put it back together and i put in on it worked great same day went for another ride now it wont shift into high gear like the spring jumped to another hole were there is too much tension so im wondering what im gonna need to replace or what is causing that spring to jump

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
heres one i have a 1992 exciter 2 570 L/c and i was having problems with the sled bogging i narrowed it down to the secondary clutch so i took it off took it in and they took it apart and said the spring came out of the hole and was just spinning around so the put it back together and i put in on it worked great same day went for another ride now it wont shift into high gear like the spring jumped to another hole were there is too much tension so im wondering what im gonna need to replace or what is causing that spring to jump
create your own thread?

And to the original questions....

Find a snowmobile safety class nearby you. If you haven't grown up around them, you don't know exactly what they can do (which is more than you can probably imagine).

This sled is an excellent one for you. Will ride and handle exceptionally and has enough power for you to grow into. Take it slow until you get a good amount of seat time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else here too. Snowmobiling can be some of the most fun you'll ever have but always respect the machine and know it's and your limitations. You'd be surprised just how fast a 500-800 pound sled can get going and how quick it can get out of control if you aren't paying attention. (I learned all of this the hard way:D) Just learn to ride safe and courteous and have a blast.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
^Lol did you mean to post that somewhere else?^

Glad there's another new sledhead out there! I agree with everything that's been said already, take your time at first, and have fun!

·
Alex
34 Posts
^Lol did you mean to post that somewhere else?^

Glad there's another new sledhead out there! I agree with everything that's been said already, take your time at first, and have fun!
Nah he was probably trying to jac the thread! LOL

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
Glad to see someone else is going to be enjoying the sport, not rejecting our riding areas..

snowmobiling has been my favorite thing to do since i was 4 and discovered the arctic cat kitty cat. it never stopped running, even in summer!

you dont know the fun untill you have tried it. i think a few people here could relate to me when i say this. Since my first snowmobiling trip away from home (about 6 years old), i wouldnt stop smiling untill i was back home and in my bed. thats all i wanted to do is snowmobile. spent alot of my time on youtube looking up videos and always wished i could have a cool sled, but a little something call the economy was stopping me. always gotten either cheap sleds, or sleds that will literally blow up 5 times in 2 years. but their are sooo many dangers to the sport also. just take you time and i dont think it would be a good idea to really start jumping unless you know what you are doing and are more than comfterable since your a first timer. and because i repect sleds, i have never in my life been in a crash over 5mph, and thats about 11 years and not crashing a sled, i think thats pretty good. give it time, and you will be riding like the wind :D

·
sledhead for life
570 Posts
Everyone hear is right.Take your time,and don't be afraid to ask other riders questions..I'm new to the mountain riding this year and i've been asking alot of questions with the people i ride with.

·
Super Moderator
16,789 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will have a blast! The ski-doo 500SS is actually close to 600cc's, so don't be surprised when you keep right up with the 600 class! Here's a review of your sled you may find interesting.

2009 Ski-Doo GSX Sport 500SS Review

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! Thanks for all the responses. To answer the first question, I'm 24 years old. I live in the Praries in Canada so its VERY strange that I've never driven a sled! It's all around me, but I've just never had the opportunity. My Dad had a couple bad experiences with motorcycles so he has been turned off of the whole "motorsports" scene so while growing up he never had fun toys. He had muscle cars but no bikes, sleds, quads, boats etc etc. I'm excited to get into it. Winter can get pretty boring, but I'm thinking this might actually get me looking forward to it!

All the advice here is great, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be on this forum a lot asking lots of questions. Everybody seems very helpful here.

Thanks again!

·
SUMMER SUCKS!
84 Posts
trust me, your first ride is gunna leave you hungary for more! i look forward to winter more than anything. and yes this forum is a great place with an even better community! :D

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
One thing...Let the sled warm up for about 5-15 minutes depending on temps! Don't ever just start it cold and take off!! Very bad for the sled! Take it slow, learn the sled, and learn your boundries like stated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts