Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor gave me his old Yamaha Excel III. From what I found on another website, it looks like it’s a 1983. He always had it parked in the garage when he was using it, then drove it outside about 6 years ago. When he went to start it the next year, the battery exploded and he didn’t feel like messing with it anymore so it just sat in the woods. He told me it was mine if I come dig it out.

It was buried behind a rolled over truck, a dead tractor, a pile of wood and a boat on one side. On the other side was about 50 feet of woods out to the road. It was quicker and easier to go through the woods, so I took one of my tractors (my other hobby) and made a trail.

I drug it out, pushed it onto the trailer, and took it home.

It is in decent shape. He put lots of new parts on it before he parked it. I don’t think the motor is stuck, but I didn’t want to pull it over much until I get the old gas and oil out. The only real damage is the belly pan which is badly rotted. The track and everything else looks decent. It needs a seat cover, everything else should clean up nice. It’s a shame he left it outside, because my dad said it was really nice the last time he saw it.

I started pulling it apart. Tomorrow I’m going to wash it, drain the old gas and oil, clean/rebuild the carb, then work on getting it running.

I’m looking forward to getting it running and riding it a little this winter. This is my first snowmobile, but my dad has had a few over the years. I’m sure I’m going to have a lot of questions for you guys.

·
Registered
716 Posts
One thing I would do before pulling it over is spray some pi oil or whatever you have into the cylinders..let it sit for a half hour or so if anything it will coat the cylinders before you pull it over. I do that every season before I start mine up. I know some people say don't do that but I have never seen an issue with it. Plus with sleds that have been sitting you don't know what could have gotten into the engine area so make sure you clean it good top to bottom look for those mice nests.

Enjoy the free sled!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I would do before pulling it over is spray some pi oil or whatever you have into the cylinders..let it sit for a half hour or so if anything it will coat the cylinders before you pull it over. I do that every season before I start mine up. I know some people say don't do that but I have never seen an issue with it. Plus with sleds that have been sitting you don't know what could have gotten into the engine area so make sure you clean it good top to bottom look for those mice nests.

Enjoy the free sled!
I’m already planning on doing that. About the mouse nests, I have not seen any yet, but am definitely going to take a closer look.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My neighbor gave me his old Yamaha Excel III. From what I found on another website, it looks like it’s a 1983. He always had it parked in the garage when he was using it, then drove it outside about 6 years ago. When he went to start it the next year, the battery exploded and he didn’t feel like messing with it anymore so it just sat in the woods. He told me it was mine if I come dig it out.
View attachment 64658
It was buried behind a rolled over truck, a dead tractor, a pile of wood and a boat on one side. On the other side was about 50 feet of woods out to the road. It was quicker and easier to go through the woods, so I took one of my tractors (my other hobby) and made a trail.
View attachment 64660
I drug it out, pushed it onto the trailer, and took it home.
View attachment 64661
View attachment 64662
View attachment 64663
It is in decent shape. He put lots of new parts on it before he parked it. I don’t think the motor is stuck, but I didn’t want to pull it over much until I get the old gas and oil out. The only real damage is the belly pan which is badly rotted. The track and everything else looks decent. It needs a seat cover, everything else should clean up nice. It’s a shame he left it outside, because my dad said it was really nice the last time he saw it.
View attachment 64664
I started pulling it apart. Tomorrow I’m going to wash it, drain the old gas and oil, clean/rebuild the carb, then work on getting it running.
View attachment 64667
I’m looking forward to getting it running and riding it a little this winter. This is my first snowmobile, but my dad has had a few over the years. I’m sure I’m going to have a lot of questions for you guys.
The Enticer Enthusiasts group on facebook should have all your answers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Enticer Enthusiasts group on facebook should have all your answers.
I’m not on Facebook, but if I ever join, I will check that out.
Oil the daylights out of the crankcase and cylinders by any and all available means prior to turning over.
I did pour some oil down the cylinders. One is locked up, the other is free. I’m hoping it will loosen up so I don’t have to pull it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts