Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put a new belt on the sabrecat 700 and its squeeling, my buddys does the samething, seems that with track off ground it doesnt stop turning track, is this the deflection?

·
Super Moderator
18,334 Posts
The new belt is somewhat wider than the old belt, so you will have to adjust the secondary for the new belt. Because the belt is wider, it sits higher in the secondary and reduces deflection, which makes the belt tight. The primary is probably gripping the belt by the cogs and not by the sides, which will eventually damage the belt.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so how do i fix this?????

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
if its anything like my '01 zr, you take the secondary off, take it apart, and move a shim from the outside to the center. (makes the secondary wider at rest)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Yes it is! There could be a problem withe the torque stop too tight?
????? help me out here, i read and looked at my manual and it for some reason confused the heck out of me, deflection tool???

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
There is supposed to be 0.005" of space between the torque stop and the engine block.
If someone has adjusted this to make up for a wearing belt, putting on a new one will make it too tight.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks when i get home ill check that.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is supposed to be 0.005" of space between the torque stop and the engine block.
If someone has adjusted this to make up for a wearing belt, putting on a new one will make it too tight.
is that the rubber headed mount toward the bottom on the left side? has a jam nut on the threaded part? if it is i just make a.005 gap there? cause mine looks tight now no gap. if not then im really confused, lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
is that the rubber headed mount toward the bottom on the left side? has a jam nut on the threaded part? if it is i just make a.005 gap there? cause mine looks tight now no gap. if not then im really confused, lol
yep, and as i just found out, if it is tight, it will cause all kinds of weird vibration. I have spent hours working on my primary clutch, thinking that is what was causing it. Turns out having that pitch stop tight against the engine will transmit ALOT of vibration.

At least in the shop manual for mine, it is .05"/1.5 mm of space between the rubber stop and the engine. As long as you can see between it, it should be enough.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, and as i just found out, if it is tight, it will cause all kinds of weird vibration. I have spent hours working on my primary clutch, thinking that is what was causing it. Turns out having that pitch stop tight against the engine will transmit ALOT of vibration.

At least in the shop manual for mine, it is .05"/1.5 mm of space between the rubber stop and the engine. As long as you can see between it, it should be enough.
i have looked threw my manual for over an hour and never found crap about the adj, grrrrrrr cool ill back mine off tomm. we are getting snow so i will be able to run it ;)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ok i found the torque stop was really tight to motor, so i adjusted it to .005 and im still squeling, should it be at .05 or .005? theres alot of diff there. trying to get it right im leaving for munising in the am. thanks for all the help so far guys!!!! still cant seem to find it in my 05 repair manual, unless im looking in the wrong spot?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
ok i found the torque stop was really tight to motor, so i adjusted it to .005 and im still squeling, should it be at .05 or .005? theres alot of diff there. trying to get it right im leaving for munising in the am. thanks for all the help so far guys!!!! still cant seem to find it in my 05 repair manual, unless im looking in the wrong spot?
You have two different issues... The pitch stop should have a gap no matter what. The problem you have is that you have a new belt which is wider than the old worn out one, and have to adjust your secondary clutch. (and yep, .05/1.5mm for my 01 at least)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have two different issues... The pitch stop should have a gap no matter what. The problem you have is that you have a new belt which is wider than the old worn out one, and have to adjust your secondary clutch. (and yep, .05/1.5mm for my 01 at least)
i adjusted the stop to .05 and that seemed to do it thanks!!!! my buddy had the same issue with the same results, i love this site you guys are grrrreeeaaatt!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i adjusted the stop to .05 and that seemed to do it thanks!!!! my buddy had the same issue with the same results, i love this site you guys are grrrreeeaaatt!
it must have been REALLY pushing on it if it was enough to move it! The manual says to loosen the motor mounts, use the torque bumper to push the motor forward until the clutches are parallel, and then back the bumper off.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it must have been REALLY pushing on it if it was enough to move it! The manual says to loosen the motor mounts, use the torque bumper to push the motor forward until the clutches are parallel, and then back the bumper off.
it was tight on there, his was also. his quit squeling, he runs a 031 belt and mine calls for a 035, i was told they are diff belts but according to the cat guide they are the same except 31 is a harder compound.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tested

ok just got back from riding 4 days, went threw 2 belts, im gonna need to adjust the clutches, it would run fine for about 60 miles then start to skip when running at a steedy speed. so i changed the belt and it went away then came back so im gonna need to adjust the deflection. so should i get a z bar for this adjustment?

·
--
11 Posts
i had a similar issue on a brand new m8 (don't ask how i ruined the factory belt). I would say it's more of a "chirp" than a "squeal" though. And only at idle. Adjusted the deflection and she's as good as new.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you should also wash the new belt before you put it on with hot soapy water to clean off the mold release compound on it

and make sure your pulleys are clean too before installing the new belt

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you should also wash the new belt before you put it on with hot soapy water to clean off the mold release compound on it

and make sure your pulleys are clean too before installing the new belt
thanks, the belts i got have a white film on them, i will wash the last one and adjust the deflection, thanks for all your help guys!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts