Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season electric start worked fine, except battery was going. I got around this by charging before starting.

This year, battery wont hold a charge (6 years old). I was riding the other day and shut it down. For giggles, I tried to start with electric start and it started. I was surprised it worked.

Just went and purchased a new OEM battery. Fully charged it and installed it. Tried to turn it over and just a click from the relay.

Here's what I tested:

I crossed the two terminals with a screw driver and nothing, not even a click. I guess this rules out the relay.

I pulled out the starter bendix and turned it. Moved it back and forth thinking it was gummed up. It's got plenty of teeth and extends to the clutch gear.

I tried to start it after moving it around and noticed the bendix drive came out and stoped as soon as it tried to turn it over. I tried again, and just a click, the bendix didn't move. Then I moved the bendix in and out and tried, same thing as before, the bendix came out just stopped when it hit the gear.

Any ideas?

·
BAHNN Motorsports
189 Posts
I had a similar experience earlier this season. Thought I had the battery charged up and all I got was a click. I thought it was the starter for sure and had a spare so I switched them out and the same thing happened...click. I connected my charger directly to the starter and it functioned as designed and turned out to be the battery wasn't charged enough to activate the starter.....I'd go back to the battery

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar experience earlier this season. Thought I had the battery charged up and all I got was a click. I thought it was the starter for sure and had a spare so I switched them out and the same thing happened...click. I connected my charger directly to the starter and it functioned as designed and turned out to be the battery wasn't charged enough to activate the starter.....I'd go back to the battery
Ok, to test the starter, you're saying I can connect the charger (in start mode) to the starter terminals and if it turns over, the starter is fine?

I find it odd the battery would be suspect. It's brand new and sat on a charger for 6 hours (2 amp) and then on a 1.5 amp battery tender for a day. Should be charged up.

·
BAHNN Motorsports
189 Posts
with charger powered up, ground the starter and touch the positive clamp on the positive post....you will know instantly if the bendix activates...there really isn't much between the starter and the battery...check all connections

·
Registered
32 Posts
check the wiring connections, positive at the battery, to the solenoid from the solenoid and at the starter. then check the ground connections starting at the battery and then whare it connects to the block. could be a corroded conections. if all checks out could be a stuck brush in the motor. gently tap on the starter while holding the key to start and see if it functions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's some more

1. Confirmed all connections. No corroded connections. Everything looks clean.

2. Hooked charger/starter to starter. Nothing. When I tapped the starter bendix, the bendix started to spin, but did not extend out.

3. Tapped the starter while turning the key. The bendix came out and stopped as soon as it hit the gear.

4. Hooked up charger/starter to battery and turned key - nothing. Then I tapped the starter while turning the key - nothing happens.

Does this help?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated -

Ok, here's some more

1. Confirmed all connections. No corroded connections. Everything looks clean.

2. Hooked charger/starter to starter. Nothing. When I tapped the starter bendix, the bendix started to spin, but did not extend out.

3. Tapped the starter while turning the key. The bendix came out and stopped as soon as it hit the gear.

4. Hooked up charger/starter to battery and turned key - nothing. Then I tapped the starter while turning the key - EDIT - bendix came out and stopped as soon as it hit gear.

5. NEW - If it leave the power connected, every once and a while, the starter will try to turn and it struggles but managed to rotate the clutch a little, but doesn't continue.

Does this help?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bummer, I was hoping it wasn't that. I pull started it and rode it around the yard for a while. When I shut it down, I waited a few seconds and then tried to electric start it. It sounded like it was going to start and then it just stopped turning. Would this suggest anything else?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'm finding starter motors (p/n 4170006) online from $56 to $366. Obviously the high is pure polaris. Are there major differences between the high and low? I would think there's a middle ground decent starter.

Anyone else go non OEM?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran the sled for a couple hours today and shut it down for a break. Ten minutes later turned the key for giggles and it started! Ok, brand new battery and a really warmed up engine equals an electric start.

So, on a cold engine, electric start yeilds nothing but a click.
A hot engine (2 hours of riding), the electric start works.

Still looking like the starter is the issue? Could it be the starter just doesn't have the power anymore to crank a cold engine?

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
i would find a local place that rebuilds starters and have them rebuild it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts