Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this little gem tonight. 1990 A/C Prowler, 3900 miles. It is in need of a new set of drive bearings, a carb cleaning, and an overall tweaking. Anybody ever have one? Up's? Down's?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
I had one, it was a great sled. But that bumper thing on the front? It's not a bumper. Don't pull on it, don't lift on it, pretty much it's for cosmetics only. There were efforts to tie it to the frame, but most were unsuccessful.

The spindle size is different than most other AC sleds, when it comes time for new skis you won't find many that will fit. I have heard of some guys having the spindles machined to make them a more standard size.

The carbs suffer from the same magnetic safety switch problem found on most 90's carbs, most have been disabled. The plastic washers on the throttle pin wear out and can contribute to problems, if yours are shot, replace them. They aren't expensive.

Fun sled, that 440 is easy to start, even without the electric starter. It gets good fuel mileage, too.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say good mileage, how good? Do you know what the top speed might be? Do you know how much it weights? What will be the next powerball winning number?:p Sorry for all the questions BC, but I am considering putting my son on this one. The Exciter I rebuilt for him is just a little bit more machine than he can handle right now. Thanks for the input!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
my 88 jag did around 70 or so and that was a lot lighter of a sled. how old is he? my son was 9 at the time i had the jag and he did fine. that 90 is a better wider sled than my 88 was. good find.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My son is 11. I know he can handle it, he currently rides an '88 Exciter. It's a little to much for him as it needs to have wot sprints done occasionally to clean out the carbon and that is a little to much speed for him!! This sled is also 75 lbs lighter than the Exciter which means it is easier to get unstuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts