Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 ZL 580efi esr w/ 5000mi on it and looks to be in really good shape, cosmetically is gorgeous. The motor was rebuilt at a shop 2000 miles ago, new rear rear shock and hyfax and its a one family sled. The sled just wants to wander on the trail and it seemed to be the front end was really light. Checking the track sag was 2-1/2" I tightened that to spec and the front rear shock was 1/2" to fully loose I tightened that one turn and now the front feels better. Now it seems the wander is in the track but unsure. There is a little play in the steering and the right side tie rod end has a little movement in that end joint. Should there be any movement in that tie rod end joint or not? I'm comparing the ride to my 94 V-Max which tracks much better so I know something isn't right

·
Registered
906 Posts
Any studs? If not then I would consider doing 96 studs on it, it might help with that. I know when I first got the last sled I bought I rode it the 1st time without studs which was a big mistake I was sliding all over the place until I put studs in and carbides for the skis. Also a set of 6" carbides if you do that. Sometimes some sleds tend to slide a little bit or feels like it is sliding/wandering. Also check the limiter strap in the front of the rear suspension if it has one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an all rubber track and was wondering that today since I past the groomer and no difference and was wondering if i was just spinning. . It feels like something is "sliding out" beneath me until 40 then it improves. Of course in fresh snow all is well.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well of course it is all rubber track, all sled tracks are. But ? remains any studs? Studs are needed on trails just as much on ice these days. Especially in Wisconsin which I would assume you are from with Wausau in your name. All the trails around here are the same way in Northeast Wisconsin without studs I would be sliding all over the place with any of the 3 sleds I have which is why all of them have studs. Nor would I get any traction at lower speed I would spin the track like crazy without studs. And the recent snowfall we had the next day it compacted by about 3/4 of an inch as the trails were not being groomed at least around here till at least 24 hours after the last snowfall.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i meant no studs, Ok It sounds like studs are the next step. I see there are videos on the install and I think I can handle it. Any tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
906 Posts
Easy to do, you loosen the track as much as possible so it is easier to work on. Lift it up as high as you can, when I did mine I reinforced the garage frame so I could use 2 ratchet straps and I got it 3-4 feet off the ground. Made things a lot easier as you will be drilling holes in the track. I bought a stud driller and then machined it down to fit into a drill, made things 1000000% easier. I also bought a woody's stud pattern sheet to mark the holes where I wanted to drill with a white paint marker you can get at any office supply store. I also modified their 96 hole stud pattern as I did not like their 96 studs right down the middle, I have one like that now as it was already drilled like that and I hate it. I can make up the pattern in the next week or so and send it to you. I would go at least 96 studs with 6" of carbide if you go 120 or 144 then 6" or 8" of carbide. But if you are not riding hard or anything then 96 should be ok. You want to measure the lug not the whole track, I will post the picture on how to do it. Then after that you can buy them on eBay with stud, backer and nylon nut for 1.15 shipped for each one that isn't a bad price. You want carbide tipped studs. You want to make sure that you do not hit anything in the tunnel. You want 5/16" studs and for the back of the stud you will use a allen head type wrench to hold the stud while you tighten them down.

The template below shows 96 and 120. I took the 2 and made my own. I did some on the outside as well. And as I said I will send you the pattern I did. I like it and it grips nicely on any trail or lake.

You want to buy this template at eBay or someplace else make sure it is this one. You also want the stud driller I link from someplace as well.

5/16" stud drill now they are machined which is nice!

Now these are for 1" studs, idk what size you need but you will find that out when you measure. He also has other sizes and trust me at 1.15 each with shipping that is hard to beat for stud boy studs that has everything you need to for the stud. And with buying as many as you are if you offer 1.05 each or even 1.00 each he might take it or send a counter offer. His other sizes are a bit more but only by .10 cents.

According to stud boy 1" studs are the right size for your track and sled if the track is still stock that is.

Hope all this helps and I will get the pattern sometime this weekend. And will try to get a pic of my the sled that has this pattern as well to help visualize it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
ICR how far Wausau is from my house if it isn't too bad I might be able to at least talk you through it in person if you need help.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Let me know if you need me to come out that way to help. I am waiting on pictures of the track to send to you for the pattern.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I won't have the stud pattern till sunday sorry about that :(. My parental units have too much going on right now and they couldn't find the stand to raise up the back of the sled. But I am hopeful that they have a picture of it they can email me before then. Also he found the template we have as well I can bring that if you decide you want me to come help you and it would save a few bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts