Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 yamaha sxr 600. I never drained the half tank of gas from it. Of course now its not running right. Will only run with choke half on. When i take the choke off it starts to die then occasionally it pops and dies. Im assuming the carb is clogged full of varnish. Any short-cuts or am i pulling carbs and cleaning everything

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the shortcut is no longer available. proper way (and only way in my opinion)is to thoroughly clean the carbs. professionally or by you. the risks are quite high for a lean burndown if you try to let an additive do the work for you rather than directly approach the issue, and the success rate for additives is quite low. several write ups, how-to's and hints on here if you want to tackle the job yourself.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Look through the write ups and how to's. I was scared to do it the first time, but now I clean the carbs every year on anything that I own! It isn't to hard to do. I've heard that the additives can be good as preventive mesures, but you will need clean carbs to start.

·
Vintage Sled Pilot
533 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just clean them. Also check your fuel lines (including your pickup line in your tank). It's really not that difficult, just take your time and let the parts soak overnight before reassembling. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advise

yeh pretty much new i was going to have to do it. I have disassebled plenty of sled carbs but this is a completely different set up(always had older polaris). Just looks more complicated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was freakin the first time i pulled carbs, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. And this past spring I rebuilt a top end. Biggest thing is take your time, and take notes if you have to, until your comfortable removing and cleaning them regularly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help

hey tore the carbs apart last night. It was a pretty complicated set up. Had a Ford mastertech(brother in law)give me a hand. 2 out of 3 pilot jets were clogged. Sled purrs like a kitten now. Thanks for the advise. Going to go ride in the four feet of snow we just got. Good times. Thanks again!!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
If you store your sled with pure aviation fuel you will never have to clean your carbs again, its only 4.00 a gal. I also mix it in if my sleds will be sitting for a while between snow storms LIKE NOW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts