Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother phoned me the other day & asked if I would come over to look at his friends sled. It's a 95' 500 EFI ,they said it quit in the field they got it going again then died again couldn't get it going again .They brought it in the shop ,saying that the tank cap had been missing the clear plastic cover ,which probably let water in the tank form rain.
This is what they said they did, took off tank & drained ,blew out fuel filters were not plugged or restricted .They also told me they put some fuel in the cylinders & it fired up,but will not rev up to higher RPM's just limit it self out,like rev limiter?Otherwise will not start without putting fuel in the cylinders?
I asked them if you can hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system & relays clicking out they said they weren't sure ,so I tried it myself,but when I went to turn the key there was non ?Some monkey was in there before:rolleyes:.He said it never needed the key before just kill switch,hummm? this doesn't look good . I tried pulling it over ,nothing .So my question is where to begin & test!? Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you do a compression test? Should be 120 to nothing under 100 and you would expect both cylinders to be close to same. What color are the plugs? Could be fouled plugs this is a cheap fix and alot of the times is the problem. Are they wet? Did you check to see if there is fuel going from tank to fuel rack. disconnect at the inlet side Clutch side of the rack turn on key if it is a battery sled it should pump fuel if it is a battery less then you will have to pull it over with the key on. Be sure to put something there to catch fuel . Fire sucks! Just some places to start.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't do a comp. test .No fuel pump noise at all (pressurizing) . Sled runs when fuel put into cyls. when removing plugs ,& put back in ,fires up?:dunno:

·
Registered
114 Posts
is this a polaris? any codes off the front of the ECU?

I have a '96 and the efi system on it begins when the you first pull the rope.

The first pull sends a signal to pressurize the fuel rails, you can here the pump humming, once it quits second pull starts it - everytime.

let me know if its a polaris or not I can send u some things to try and pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh , I think I already stated what it is & what it's doing,not trying to be a smart a#$,never was ,Noticed your from saskabush welcome aboard,cool.:thumbsup: It's a POLARIS ,& no codes that I'm aware of?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts