Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in NW Iowa. And 95% of my rideing is ditch banging. I have a 1998 ZR600 carbed. I have added a 136" track with 1 3/4" lugs. My problem (to me) is it does not "launch" till right at 5000 rpms. The problem is not the launch, (which is very fun) but that most of the time a quicker engagement would be more adventagious. My sled has plenty of power and suspension. I would consider it a crossover set up. But I am confused when reading specs set out by retail sites as to which springs to choose. Oh yeah the motor is stock and very strong. It lifts the skis on flat ground take offs. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What weights and spring is in your primary presently. Stock launch should be around 4-4200.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure of wghts but both driven and secondary springs are yellow. Most everything I read state this is a race set up only.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
A buddy has a yellow/white primary and yellow secondary that launches at 5000 or so. A yellow/green primary and red/white secondary should get you down to around 4200; that's what I'm running on my ZR500.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise! I don't mind the hard launch so much, but sometimes can cause a a bit of a bind climbing blow overs in the ditches. I plan to buy several springs but now I have a place to start. I hope you have a lot of good snow to ride on! We have about 16 on the ground and a chance for 10 to 12 more this weekend. I will post results when I make the changes. THANK AGAIN!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What launch rpm are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About 4 grand. I just checked it. Short ride but was warmed up. It grabbed at 5300 rpms. This is the clutch that was on it when I bought it. I am leaning towards an oem rebuild kit and then make tuneing adjustments from there, as I know nothing about how previous owner had set up. He is a young guy with limited sled expieriance. He said not sure what he did.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you want 4000, and it's an AC 9 tower, changing to a red primary spring should get you there, Keeping the yellow secondary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure about bringing down your engagement rpm, but I recently replaced my secondary clutch and new one has a purlpe spring in it. I'm not sure about top end (70mph is fast enough for me and still lots left) but it hauls a$$ :). good luck.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks dlzrcat. I am working on it right now instead of rideing! Had a friend with several other clutches. Gonna try red primary. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts