Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 enticer 300 and the last time it ran was probably 7 years ago but that was just a summertime bet to drive it across the road it went away running what should I do to make this thing work I haven’t tried to start it

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Make sure the gas line in the tank is there and if not replace it with tygon and make sure the weighted fuel filter is on it as well. Clean or replace the fuel pump as well. I would personally drain all the oil and replace with new. I would replace the fuel filter as well and the fuel lines in the engine area if it has been sitting long just for peace of mind. Make sure the all the grease zerts have been greased, shocks are ok, bogie wheels are ok, slides/hyfax are ok, make sure the brake cylinder is full and working correctly. I would do a compression test cold and then when you do get it running again hot of course. Replace the spark plugs and spark plug caps. I would personally pull the tank off and clean it as best you can and let it sit with the cap off for a couple days while you do the rest of the work. Once you get all that done fill it with gas, prime and see what happens. Of course check the compression with the throttle held wide open.

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the gas line in the tank is there and if not replace it with tygon and make sure the weighted fuel filter is on it as well. Clean or replace the fuel pump as well. I would personally drain all the oil and replace with new. I would replace the fuel filter as well and the fuel lines in the engine area if it has been sitting long just for peace of mind. Make sure the all the grease zerts have been greased, shocks are ok, bogie wheels are ok, slides/hyfax are ok, make sure the brake cylinder is full and working correctly. I would do a compression test cold and then when you do get it running again hot of course. Replace the spark plugs and spark plug caps. I would personally pull the tank off and clean it as best you can and let it sit with the cap off for a couple days while you do the rest of the work. Once you get all that done fill it with gas, prime and see what happens. Of course check the compression with the throttle held wide open.
Alright do you have any clue of these parts are easy to get or not cause if they are I’ll just buy a new one but if not I’ll clean

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
If it is oil injection, then I would mix the first tank of gas. Just make sure nothing is plugged up.

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is oil injection, then I would mix the first tank of gas. Just make sure nothing is plugged up.
[/QUOTE I’m pretty sure it is there is an oil tank and a gas tank I’m almost certain that means injected caise I’m pretty sure that was one of the big selling points of these enticers

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yeah most of those parts are still around and basic stuff. The fuel pumps are still being made not sure if you have a single carb or dual carb on that particular machine been too long since I worked or even seen a '79 Enticer not since I was a kid around that era. Lot's of those old snowmobiles still around so you can get those kinds of parts easy. Spark plug caps are regular old NGK Screw in type Resister Caps you can get at any auto parts store just take one with you to match up. Spark plugs I would just run regular old NGK in what they call for it for the part number. Fuel line in the engine area you can get away with regular stuff but the gas tank must be tygon since it is immersed in gasoline and weighted fuel filter which you can buy on amazon as well. Fuel Filter is just a standard small inline fuel filter, I use what they call a Walbro or Old Arctic Cat style 1/4" clear fuel filter cost a whole whopping 4-6 bucks a piece or what I do is buy them buy a 5 or 10 pack on eBay every few years.

Another good idea from Bear. Make sure the oil injection is working and premix the first tank to be safe and mark the oil injection bottle with a piece of tape when you fill it to see how much you used when you get back home or fill up again.

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for all the help I will definently stick around on this forum but I do ask one more thing my dad was the previous owner and he said something about an intake boot Im unable to find anything on this does anyone know anything about it

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yeah he should be talking about the carburetor intake boot that they mount into which mounts to the engine. Those should still be available somewhere in an aftermarket version. Finding a NIB Yamaha would be impossible. Make sure you use the airbox as well as that is key with them running right. People who remove those and run pods shouldn't because then all you are doing is letting in hot air and cold air is much better.

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah he should be talking about the carburetor intake boot that they mount into which mounts to the engine. Those should still be available somewhere in an aftermarket version. Finding a NIB Yamaha would be impossible. Make sure you use the airbox as well as that is key with them running right. People who remove those and run pods shouldn't because then all you are doing is letting in hot air and cold air is much better.
Alrighty

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1979 enticer 300 and the last time it ran was probably 7 years ago but that was just a summertime bet to drive it across the road it went away running what should I do to make this thing work I haven’t tried to start it
Completely empty the tank, take the carbs off and give them a good cleaning, fresh plugs take the belt off run it,and take scotch pad and clean the primary, and do the same for the secondary ""NOT RUNNING "" Then try it. Hope it helps bud!

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mikuni makes carb flanges from 32 to 44mm
Do you know that it is a Mikuni that came on these sleds cause Im certain that the one on it is original and i cant seem to figure it out

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
I don't remember the brand, but the carb was a butterfly style carb instead of a round slide style. Walbro and Mikuni (probably others) made those back in the day.

That is a thread from years ago, reading through it may be of help. Also, there are places that have parts diagrams available such as www.bikebandit.com so you can see a breakdown of things. If you search the web, you will find a bunch of resources.

Good luck! I had a 79 and an 80, they were fun sleds, although the suspension travel in the rear suspension was very limited. Yamaha made up for that by having a very cushy seat!

·
Registered
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't remember the brand, but the carb was a butterfly style carb instead of a round slide style. Walbro and Mikuni (probably others) made those back in the day.

That is a thread from years ago, reading through it may be of help. Also, there are places that have parts diagrams available such as www.bikebandit.com so you can see a breakdown of things. If you search the web, you will find a bunch of resources.

Good luck! I had a 79 and an 80, they were fun sleds, although the suspension travel in the rear suspension was very limited. Yamaha made up for that by having a very cushy seat!
thanks for the help and yeah that seat is unlike any other.

·
Registered
25,365 Posts
My little blue has same carb but off of a 440 exciter
My 91 SRV had same, it now has a 44 Mikuni round slide.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts