Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I finally bought my first snowmobile last week, a 1993 Skandic II 377R in okay condition. Its rusty but the engine runs very well and I will invest some time to work on it. I just had a few questions because I can't know until winter and Im curious.
I wonder how fast it can go, and will this be usable in deep snow? I dont expect to climb a mountain but just riding in the fields with my friends and going off the trail a few times. I dont think that track would grip very well, Im really not sure if its the right word, but the lugs seem very short. I dont even know how long and wide it is, I didn't find any infos online about that

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design

Plant Sports equipment Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Administrator
19,575 Posts
On anything but hardpacked snow or groomed trails, you will have problems getting to 45-50 mph. Off trail in the deep stuff... be prepared to learn how to get unstuck. Replacing the track with something with a deeper lug would help that, but there just isn't much power in the 377 engine. Skandics aren't built for speed, but are more for utility. Skidoo has a good reputation for durability and ease of maintenance in those sleds, too.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Yep utility snowmobiles made for pulling a small trailer with wood out to the cabin out on the ice is about all for those. Best to find something from '98 on from any of the makers with at least a 500cc but 600cc would be better and you can then at least put a 1" ice attack track on it with built in studs for both on trail and off trail riding.

· Registered
4,593 Posts
I wish I had video of my friend riding his 377 Safari of that vintage. Basically the same sled with a lower windshield. He rode that thing, even with a balogna skin track, up hills with 2-3' of snow. The sled is so light it floats over the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts