Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 93 indy trail with a 95 488 motor in it. the carbs are stock to that motor (looked it up in the fiche), it has a bog from idle to 3000 rpm when you tramp the gas it bogs but when you get moving and tramp it, its fine. carbs have been cleaned jets have been cleaned with a pins. chokes have been checked. has new plugs, diaphargms, gas lines, gas filter.. can anyone help? thanks

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just went out and pulled the top of the airbox off and the right boot was wet and had a small puddle of gas in the airbox from the right carb. and it takes about 9 pulls to get it going on a warm start.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It engages at 4000 rpm. Also the chokes are clean. Could this be a spark problem? today i started it and when i tramped it it sounded like the spark just shut off and the engine was slowing down, as soon as i touch the gas it came back again and reved up but when I let off the gas it just quits again. it only did this a couple times. checked the plugs and it didnt seem to have strong spark.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
make sure you have a good ground and even cut a 1/4 inch off the plug wires.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is a stupid question but where should I look for the ground? and could this be the problem to 9 pulls on a warm start?

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
When starting warm, do you hold the throttle open a bit?

The bog could be a lean bog and may be aided by turning in the air screws a bit. To test, flip the choke to 1/2 and hit the throttle. If the bog is gone, turn the air screws in 1/8 of a turn until you get rid of the bog.

How is the belt? Is it sitting about 1/8" out of the secondary? A belt that sits low will cause a bog as well (like taking off in second gear in a standard transmission car.) If it's lower than the outside of the secondary, you will need to adjust the secondary.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help and ideas. I got it. Decided to tinker with the air screws. I turned them all the way in and backed out 1/4 turn and no more bogg. It goes a hell of alot faster now that bogg is gone. Thanks!!!!!

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright note taken. thanks

·
Leaves in belly pan, BAD!
317 Posts
When starting warm, do you hold the throttle open a bit?

The bog could be a lean bog and may be aided by turning in the air screws a bit. To test, flip the choke to 1/2 and hit the throttle. If the bog is gone, turn the air screws in 1/8 of a turn until you get rid of the bog.

How is the belt? Is it sitting about 1/8" out of the secondary? A belt that sits low will cause a bog as well (like taking off in second gear in a standard transmission car.) If it's lower than the outside of the secondary, you will need to adjust the secondary.
Also, if you've never pulled a clutch it might be worth pulling it and cleaning it. Replace the three little pucks inside. They are cheap. If you need to - get help. It's not too hard if you have guidance. A puller for your year and model is helpful too. ...P-85 I think is the usual style on these old Polaris's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts