Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...my 99 zr500 (carbed) is awesome except that after i'm riding for a bit and then shut it off to get some lunch or gas, when i go to start is again it BACKFIRES pretty bad and loud???? i really hate it, its like im afraid to tug the cord when i go back out???

what could this be?

also, can someone teach me some stuff about clutches...i just repleaced the stock helix with a purple one and i have 52 gram weights in the primary, but i really haven't noticed much difference except that its not revving as high as it used to?

please help me out...i gotta get this thing dialed in right....its topping out around 87 and it used to do close to 100????#$?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Izey,
My 99 ZR 500 (carb) was doing something very similiar, I thought it had blown up a few times it backfired so loud. Found that the slide needle in the carb was bent and wasn`t sitting in the jet properly. I don`t know much about clutching but I do know that the helix,weights and springs must be compatable with each other or you will sacrafice performance somewhere.

Camarrow

·
Registered
55 Posts
backfire

Had same prob with my zl.Just make sure you let the rpms go down to idle before you turn off the ignition Thats all that was needed to solve my problem:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, i am gonna try letting the rpm's go down first and i will check the slide needle...is this the main jet when u talk about slide needles?

also, about clutching. my dad is running a 98 zl500 that hasn't been touched, it is bone stock but he had someone rebuild the clutch. Now his is much snappier than mine and seems to be revving higher too. What do te springs do if i change those as well as the weights? I don't really understand the parts involved with a clutch kit and what each part does, like the helix, weights and springs? can anyone explain?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts