Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey how's it going, i haven't been on this forum in a long time but im back, i posted here a few years ago about buying a sled but all my plans have changed due to having a kid. i'm looking again to get some sleds and im not that knowledgeable about snowmobiles. i have been riding for like 15 years but i'm just a weekend banger and have never owned a sled pf my own, so im unsure of the up keep on them (my grandpa owns 4 polaris indy trails and i go to his cabin and ride when i can) but im looking to branch out on my own and get my own sleds. for sure i am looking to get a 2 up for my wife and i have two different types of riding: when im with my family and grandpa we trail ride, nothing crazy and i like to open it up every once and awhile but get yelled at for going to fast by everyone else and second i have gone with my friends in the past and with one of my grandpas indy trails and i just couldnt keep up with them, they were also ditch banging and hitting jumps and stuff and i just couldnt do it, but my buddy let me ride his pro x 800 for awhile and i had a frickin Blast!! BUT im not sure how that would work if i was with the family on a slower trail ride and riding up north where they only have 89 or 91 octane fuel. i am ok with buying two sleds for myself for the two different types of riding and would like to stay with polaris, but im not against looking at other manufactures, and would like to stay with used sleds mid 2000's, what are your idea's?

also on a side note what are the advantages to a long track vs a short track and is there really in use for them in wisconsin which is where i live?

hey thanks for your time and i hope this wasnt too long of a post!!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Pantera! A 02 Pantera 600 EFI will do most anything you want to do (jumping aside) I have a pair of 800 EFI's and I go anywhere! The 02 600 is going to run you about $3000 but well worth it!

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
Short tracks turn easier and usually corner better. Mid-length tracks like the 136" will bridge the stutter bumps on the trail and can give a better ride on that kind of snow. Long tracks give good flotation in powder and allow higher climbing but corner poorly. A two-up won't be able to handle the ditchbanging as well as a single rider machine. Two-up sleds are really heavy and jumping will quickly take it's toll on the rear suspension. You will be limited in your search for a two-up, there aren't a lot of them for sale compared to single rider sleds.

For what you described, a 2004-05 Edge 600 XC would be a really big step up from the Indy Trails you have been riding. The 700 XC is also a nice sled. The 800 engine has issues, and unless you need the additional HP, I wouldn't buy one for a first sled. The XC's have the 121" track, so if you opt for something a bit longer, finding a Switchback will give you a 136" or 144" track to help you with flotation in powder and to make the bumpy trail ride better.

Polaris sleds newer than 2004 will have electronic reverse (PERC) which is a nice feature. PERC came out in 2003 on the RMK Vertical Escape.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the help. im for sure buying a two up for my wife and for sure one for me maybe even two for me!! i was thinking a smaller pro x like a 600 or so and then either a rmk or xc for my second knock around sled. my second question for you guys/gals what do you wear for gear? i just wear my carhartt right now but it gets really heavy and wet

·
Registered
315 Posts
you dont want to wear anything that will get soaked !
it could be a life or death matter !! NO COTTON !!
i layer up , starting with body armour , ( name brand ) there are knock off's
it will let your body breath and if you do get wet it wont hold it against you,
let's it wick away from you , wool or fleece is a good mid layer , i have a pair of g max bibs and a hjc coat , its usually way to warm but i can always take it off imho!
i am not saying you need to go buy name brand stuff , just better to layer ,and stay away from cotton ! gore tex is by far the best material for this sport , but it is expensive !!!

·
Super Moderator
16,803 Posts
For the best, Klim gear can't be beat. Expect to pay a premium for it, though. And don't buy the Klim gloves, there are better options.

I use a coat from Cabellas and Katadhin bibs, Klim boots, Dakine gloves, and a Polaris anti-fogging full face helmet. I'm never wet and seldom cold. My next gear when I wear these out will be Klim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i went to one of the local dealers here and was looking at sleds and gear, first offthe polaris rush looks insane! i tried on some polaris and castle x jackets which were ok but the klim was the best by far, BUT i almost fell over when i saw the price, if i go with klim i hope it lasts for a long time!!

i have another stupid question, do people still use stands (not sure what they are called) to hold up the back end of the sled when they are in storage or not being ridin? if so what is the point of this

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Yup stands are used for working on the rear suspension/track usually. Or to store them and take pressure off the suspension.

I'll throw coldwave gear out into the mix... They're not too pricey at all, i've had my jacket for two years and have been really satisfied with it's quality. wasn't more than a typical winter jacket either.

But your gear may depend on your riding. I wear a lot less when i ride hard... I will get really warm otherwise. zip out liners are nice. Make the helmet and jacket the priority, I just wear cheap snowpants and have never had a problem with just layering underneath them. And with the handwarmers on, my hands almost never get cold with just some regular winter gloves... so it's really kinda up to you how much you spend. Just don't wear stuff that absorbs water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys know of anywhere online or a good motorsports shop in WI that sells gear. Here in green bay we have a few motorsports places but they suck and are way over priced. i thought i might be able to find something online that would be a little bit cheaper but i havnt really found anything yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey sledhead hows it goin man. I think a 2001-2004 Polaris rmk 700 with a 144 track is definantly your best choice. It is super reliable (Trust me i rolled it while hill climbing and nothing happened to it except for the windshield popped off and i just snapped it right back on.)

The 144 track is the perfect length for what you want, its just long enough to have some fun in powder and just short enough to have blast on the trails and its almost the optimal length for jumping.

I personally had one and I ran 91 octane unleaded pump gas through it the whole time and it ran great so no worries there. The 700 engine is perfect not to small and not to big.

It is a great all around sled and plus its a Polaris so you know what your getting. You definitely dont need to buy two sleds. This sled is awesome and will do everything you want it to and more, and about not opening up the throttle while with your family... thats just good ole self control haha.

Klim gear is definitely the best! Pricey but you will never regret buying it.
-Skip the gloves
-Buy the Klim Adrenaline GTX boot for sure. Its one of the best boots on the market
-Klim Jackets are awesome but unnecessary. Polaris makes awesome jackets that are just as good for half the price.
-Castle X bibs are great id say go with those if your looking to save some money. But if you really want the klim bibs go for it, they last a lifetime.

Good Luck Man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts